Fell off- ouch my bum!

Carly!

Apr 11, 2008
Herts
Went out today on Sweep and another horse and it started off as the nicest ride yet!
Across the m25 bridge we went again- he was so lovely. Took the non field route up into the woods. He was like a donkey the whole way round! Couldn't believe it, it was so lovely.
Was really looking forward to the canter track on the way back. When we got there we went into canter and the saddle slipped. It must have felt horrible for Sweep as he sped up. I had no chance. Fell off and landed on my cocyx.
Sweep stopped a few metres up and tucked into the grass :rolleyes:
Got back on but after that he wanted to go home, so kept speed trotting off.
We're already having trouble with his breaks- he will not stop at roads. So we flew out onto the main road all the traffic squeeling to a halt. He didn't stop jogging till he was home.

Such a shame. Hasn't dented my confidence too much as it wasn't his fault. Bit worried about his though. We're still very new to eachother.

I think the saddle slipped (it's treeless) because I washed the sheepskin saddle cloth, never had problems before.

Defnitely need to change my boys bit for now. Falling off I can deal with, being hit by a car- defnitely not! :eek:

Glad to hear you're both unhurt.
You have my sympathy. I bruised my coccyx a long time ago by falling onto a jump in a sitting position (Yeah I know it sounds hilarious and it probably was xD) and I couldn't sit down for like a week.
I don't have any suggestions for the roads really, apart from maybe you could get someone to walk with you at road crossing to practise and if he tries to take off they could help you stop him and reward with treats for a safe crossing?

Yeah it's very painful to sit down! Hurts to stand up though too :p I think a radox bath and some chocolate is in order.

I could give the road crossing practice a try, they're just all so busy that it's not something that's easily done.

I think a nice fluffy cushion when sitting down is in order while eating dairy milk, always does the trick for me. :)

Yeah I totally appreicate that. Is there no side rides that are a little quieter. Or maybe a time of day when the traffic is less busy?

Nope, the only downside to our really lovely yard is that to get the hacking it requires crossing a very busy main road. He's fine going across the road that leads to the main one and he's not as bad on the way out. But coming home there's just no way of making him stop :(

Is this just when you reach the road and the yard is in sight or does he start rushing along as soon as you start to head back?

He rushes a little on the way back. We go down a slope and through a tunnel that leads out onto the main road. It's here he really rushes through. Will not stop at the road, goes straight across. Once he sees the yard he starts plodding again :rolleyes:

That sounds a lot like how my pony used to behave. He was such a little demon when he realised that we were homeward bound. My RI used to tell me to sit deeper in the saddle and if he broke into a trot to resist the urge to post. Keep sitting and increase the pressure on his mouth.

Maybe before you enter the tunnel you could halt for a few moments. Just a reminder that the hack isnt over yet and he still has to do what you tell him.

I'd love it if I could get him to halt! He won't at all. He completely ignores seat aids and takes hold of the bit when you resist with your hands- which is the reason I'm thinking of changing his.
He's in a single jointed snaffle at the moment and he ignores it. I don't want to be hauling on his mouth.

Ponies eh? :D

I fell off a while ago because my pony spooked and my saddle slipped and I landed on 'that' area too. It took about 3 weeks before I was completely right again but I am 50 so if you are younger it probably wont take as long.
I use a Kimblewick bit on my pony she is much happier in it than in a snaffle, it seems to suit her mouth more, and it stops her if she gets strong and so I think its probably kinder than having to nag all the time.
Hope you dont suffer too much.

newrider.com