field safe headcollars

Stormin

Jun 28, 2007
Export - GMT+1
I use mine in summer to attach fly fringe to and it goes over sweet itch hoody part as an extra insurance to keep it in place.

Until now, I have the aerborn one (with rubber rings) which is great to wash etc. BUT horse keeps breaking the rings when he rolls :cry:

Does anyone have any experience of other types/makes and how do you rate them ?
Seen the cottage craft one but not sure if it's "breakable" enough ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I had the IV Horse velcro ones but I spent more time hunting for them in the field than they spent wearing the damn things. I ended up buying really cheap crappy thin leather headcollars for the field.

Sounds awful, I use a normal headcollar, done up loosley. She can get it off easily, though thankfully on the whole doesn't choose to.

Also lucky that if she gets stuck to something, she isn't a panic-er - have found her of a morning with her front shoe stuck in a haynet :rolleyes: casually stoodf there - and on another had got back leg stuck in surcingle, and I didnt even notice!!!!!!!!! Felt awful, pottered about doing jobs - thought it was odd she didnt move, then realised!

I ended up buying really cheap crappy thin leather headcollars for the field.

Be careful with them - some have webbing inside for added strength.

Sadly i found that out when the colt I had wearing one got stuck in the water trough with it - it was tough enough that it dragged the trough across the field and left colt with (fortunately temporary) nerve damage in his face.

I make fly free links out of velcro for ours. The tough velcro seems to stay on well but does give under stress.

None of ours need atm luckily.

newrider.com