Finally after 4 month and 6 withdrawals we made it out

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
It has been a shocking 6 months for ginger and I. After a really positive winter schooling, followed by a great RAF team training then RAF Champs it all went really badly wrong.

After the comp in April I went back a week later to the same venue and he just turned himself inside out. To the point that I nearly spotted half way through the first test. I withdraw from the second as he was just to tense and stressed.

Two weeks late I try again. As we walked in to the indoor arena he flipped his lid (this is at home in the school he goes in weekly) I couldn't get him near the judge at all. Made it to the end of the test and cried. The judge called me over and said she was at the last comp I did and that he just looked tense and wrong. I completely agreed with her and stated he has physio already booked in for the next day.

Physio agreed he was tense and tight worked in him for over an hour. We would see anything actually wrong. She sees him every 6 weeks so knows him. I told her I was pulling back from training at medium level as I believe this is what is causing the issues he is just not built for that level of work and was struggling with the advanced movements.

I went away for 2 weeks so he was rested, got back on and he felt slight off.... I went away for another 2 weeks so he was rested. Physio out again as due and found he was slightly sore on right shoulder but nothing else and so much better than last time.

Went up on the following Monday and did some inhand work with him. On Tuesday was grooming and noticed a splint!!!! had formed, not a hint of heat or swelling at all. Left him until Saturday got on and was sound.

Booked comp for the following weekend and had to withdraw as it was to windy to take the trailer.

Finally got out on Wednesday. First time since April, I knew it was going to be messy as we have hardly schooled but I needed to se what he was going to be like at a venue. I had already said that if he loses his Sh^& I would not compete again this year.

Well he was lovely back to his old self but such a shame I rode like a T*t. It was chucking it down we were wet through before the first class (class was indoors) I rode the novice like an idiot but was so pleased that he listened and I was smiling at the end. Then rode the elementary again I was crap I think I rode so badly because I was waiting for him to be silly and not really riding him at all.

Anyway we managed to very low sixties but I am over the moon with my boy

Oh I am so glad that things are getting better for him. Poor chap, and well done to you for spotting that things were just too hard for him.

An interesting read - How well you have handled it all tho it has been so disappointing.
I would be interested to know what dressage things might be beyond him (or any horse). I did dressage on a pony that could not (was not allowed to) canter a 10m circle or loop.
But if you have a fit horse that is turning quickly between jumps ? or is it the holding into an outline that stresses them? As we were never taught that on our yard, it never arose.

An interesting read - How well you have handled it all tho it has been so disappointing.
I would be interested to know what dressage things might be beyond him (or any horse). I did dressage on a pony that could not (was not allowed to) canter a 10m circle or loop.
But if you have a fit horse that is turning quickly between jumps ? or is it the holding into an outline that stresses them? As we were never taught that on our yard, it never arose.

He is very upright built for speed not collection, he has no medium trot he simply does not understand it many an RI have tried that said I have been told that some horses don’t get it until they are older.

At medium you need to show extended trot from marker to marker at the lower levels it is just required that you show some strides

But that is not the issue he can canter 10m circles with no issues the problems are not holding an outline it’s maintaining impulsion in the collected state at every pace

Pretty much Any horse can go through all the movements in a DR test the trotting, canter from letter to letter is easy but as you move up the levels the horse needs to be correct in every aspect working from behind and over the back, soft to the contact, even steps implosion rhythm taking weight in the hocks with an up hill frame

All the above is hard work for a lot of horses more so if the horse is not built naturally up hill so as a rider we have to wok on theses things what ginger was doing was getting more and more tense the longer I asked him for true collection he would give it and the feeling of a true collected canter is amazing but he finds it really hard to maintain he really struggles with taking the weight on his hocks getting them truly underneath him which is required when you need to do simply changes.

I have to say medium is nails you don’t see that many TB at the height levels at the ROR national BD champs last year there were literally a handful doing medium and advanced medium and even less higher up

An excellent night with Eddie. Yesterday I put a lunge roller on him for the first time he didn’t batter an eyelid once it was on.

He is a strange lad I put it on the floor first he went straight up and sniffed it not bothered, I picked it up he backed off, I wrapped it round my neck he sniffed it I touched him with it. I think he thought it was a snake and backed off. I put in on my head and he came back to me so I slipped it on his back and he stood still while o went round him and did it up. Walked round the farm no issues at all.

Tonight I did the same again only this time I took him in the indoor school to start to teach him to lunge. That took and three minutes lol. He got that he had to stay away from me and he walked around but mostly trotted and even went over s fee piled it was very stop start but super impressed with him.

Did stay in there long just a couple of circles on each rein. Then closed the noise shutter to which he is now quite use to,

Walked him in the bar and popped him on the stables while I packed away lunge kit and cleaned up. Got him out tied him up and brushed him off.

Really chuffed with him today

This sounds like a fab night, I would have loved to be watching. Eddie sounds a superstar.

I think you meant to put this in your diary, I only found it by chance and would have been disappointed if I'd missed it :D

Oh that sounds brilliant. I am a bit apprehensive about moving on to circles (eventually - Charlie is too much of a baby at the moment) as he really doesn't seem to grasp the concept of "going away"!

newrider.com