Finally some good news

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
It was vet day yesterday and I was absolutely dreading it. At our last vet check 6 months ago, the vet found Ben 6/10 lame in trot and 3/10 lame in walk and said that the only option left was to put him on bute and see how he went.

For the whole of lockdown I have been riding him in walk everyday, and he isn't sound. He sometimes trips and is slow. He takes a while to warm up and get going, and likes to stop for frequent rests. I was preparing myself for the news that his pain would be worse this time and that he would have to be put to sleep.

But actually, the opposite happened. The vet told me that he saw a happy, healthy (and fat!) horse and that while he wasn't 100% sound, he was no where near needing to be put down and that the exercise is helping with his pain. He has severe and chronic arthritis in both his stifles, his hocks and his back, and the vet said that he could see that he drags his right hind which could account for this tripping over his hind feet. He said that I need to walk him on faster and try to strengthen the joints. He also needs to lose some weight as this will help him carry himself. So the plan is to basically keep going as we are. Ride for an hour everyday, push him on in the walk and carry on the bute. Get the muzzle back on come spring and get him off the grass to reduce his weight.

I really have never been so relieved in my life. I burst into tears and between my sobbing I could just about tell my vet that I had convinced myself that I was going to have to say goodbye.

It is very hard to describe how I feel about Ben. Many people don't understand why I am so attached to a lame horse that I can only walk out, but he means the world to me and I would do anything to keep him going. Perhaps one day I might find a share horse to do some 'proper' riding on for a couple of days a week, but at the moment I am so happy and privileged to keep looking after him.

It was vet day yesterday and I was absolutely dreading it. At our last vet check 6 months ago, the vet found Ben 6/10 lame in trot and 3/10 lame in walk and said that the only option left was to put him on bute and see how he went.

For the whole of lockdown I have been riding him in walk everyday, and he isn't sound. He sometimes trips and is slow. He takes a while to warm up and get going, and likes to stop for frequent rests. I was preparing myself for the news that his pain would be worse this time and that he would have to be put to sleep.

But actually, the opposite happened. The vet told me that he saw a happy, healthy (and fat!) horse and that while he wasn't 100% sound, he was no where near needing to be put down and that the exercise is helping with his pain. He has severe and chronic arthritis in both his stifles, his hocks and his back, and the vet said that he could see that he drags his right hind which could account for this tripping over his hind feet. He said that I need to walk him on faster and try to strengthen the joints. He also needs to lose some weight as this will help him carry himself. So the plan is to basically keep going as we are. Ride for an hour everyday, push him on in the walk and carry on the bute. Get the muzzle back on come spring and get him off the grass to reduce his weight.

I really have never been so relieved in my life. I burst into tears and between my sobbing I could just about tell my vet that I had convinced myself that I was going to have to say goodbye.

It is very hard to describe how I feel about Ben. Many people don't understand why I am so attached to a lame horse that I can only walk out, but he means the world to me and I would do anything to keep him going. Perhaps one day I might find a share horse to do some 'proper' riding on for a couple of days a week, but at the moment I am so happy and privileged to keep looking after him.
Phew! And hurray!

Reactions: Mary Poppins
That's wonderful news! I cab totally understand the tears, I've been there myself and know the heartache and fear of loving one that you know you can't fix and ultimately will lose no matter haw excellent your management. And you're right, so many people don't understand. This is fantastic news though and I'm thrilled for you both xx

Thank you all. I am so exhausted today. All the worrying and rush of emotion yesterday has left me feeling completely wiped out. I absolutely cannot wait to ride him today. On Monday I took loads of photos and prepared myself that this could have been the last time I sat on him, but now I feel that I have been given the best gift ever of simply more time. And I am going to absolutely enjoy it. xx

Reactions: carthorse
Once I knew our time was so very limited I became determined to pack a lifetime of love into every day and it sounds like you're doing the same. No regrets Mary Poppins, and you've always been brave enough to have Ben's best interests at heart xx

Wonderful, wonderful news. I am so happy for you both. Poor old Ben, enrolled in fat club again! ;)
Oh I know. He is a professional yo yo dieter! It is my fault he is so fat, I was so sure he wouldn’t see the winter that I figured his last summer should be muzzle free. I regret that now but we are going into winter and he is well and truely back on weightwatchers from today!

I am utterly delighted for you and Ben! Such good news. Buddy is the same, not as bad as Ben, he has been ridden 4 times this week, and we poodle around and while he wouldn't pass a vet for soundness he is happy! Eats well and has regained his weight and looks well. He has arthritis in knees and has lower ringbone which when we got the diagnosis last year was devastating, but he is still with us and at the moment think he is absolutely ok! So so happy for you and your lovely boy.

I'm so happy for you, if anyone deserves a bit of good news it's you! Enjoy your hacking with your special boy ?

newrider.com