First pleasure ride - we BOTH fell off!

Laura83

Apr 16, 2008
Cambs
I did my first pleasure ride with Red today, Barbara rode Fern. At East Walton in Norfolk. Was anyone else there?

We did the 10 mile option. We'd just managed to successfully get past a pig farm - Fern is spooky and hates pigs - and decided to trot on. Red in front as Fern naps if she goes in front :rolleyes:

He's not normally spooky at all, but of course he had a massive spook at some coiled drainage or irrigation piping in the grass on our right, I went over his right shoulder, he span round and I landed on my bum on the left side of the path in some mud, but because the ground was uneven I then slid sideways right into a HUGE puddle - my head actually went into the water, I had mud all down my left side, my face got water splashed all over it and muddy water up my nose etc. :mad:

I got up after wiping the water from my face and eyes and saw Barbara standing holding Red and grabbing Fern with her other hand. Thanked her for getting off and grabbing him - she says she didn't get off she fell off too :eek: Fern is notorious for copycatting, she spooked when Red did although it's highly likely she had no idea what she was supposed to be frightened of, and we BOTH fell and landed in muddy puddles! It took me almost 5 minutes to get back on because I was laughing so much and my legs went weak, and another 10 minutes to stop laughing for long enough to talk about what had just happened!

Luckily most had left when we got back to the lorry, as we returned covered in mud and received some very funny looks from the few people still there!

Oh well, I've been meaning to get a new hat, this was the excuse I needed! :D

Brilliant - as long as you're both all right:). No photos for us?

I did my first pleasure ride today - first of many hopefully - but I badly need to get fit:eek:

oh thats fun isn't it - as long as you're not hurt.

A similar thing happened to me and daughter - I was on my very first hack out after breaking my back, she was in front of me. Her horse kicked mine, he spooked, dumped me and RAN OFF! Hers spooked with the commotion and dumped her too.

I was "omigod what is she going to think, me on the deck again, when I looked up, and saw her sitting in the mud too!"

Eventually both horses were caught and we walked back..

Glad you are both ok and do have a laugh about the experience

Don't apologise for laughing, I was in hysterics for a good while after it happened, it was very very funny :D

I debated taking my (£200) camera, but I'm glad I didn't now as it would have been ruined by the deep puddle I fell in! There was a photographer who should have got a pic of us much earlier on in the ride but the pics aren't online yet. If ours isn't too hideous I will buy it as this was certainly a memorable first ride!

We're both ok. My bum hurts and my right hip is a bit sore and stiff, I'll live though :eek:

newrider.com