First show-aargh!

Apr 12, 2005
Hi all,

new to the forum, and after some advice pls pls pls.....

been tempted to enter a novice show at the weekend, on my 15hh L/W piebald cob type.

TOTAL novice at this, not taken part any ridden classes before, not been to a show for the last 12 years or so (and that was a gymkhana!) and this wll be my boy's first show too, having only owned him a year.

classes we could enter are;

family pony/horse (think he may be a bit spooky for this)
tack & turnout

and a fun class 'pony/horse judge would most like to take home'!

really not sure what to expect, what will i be expected to do, and how should i dress him (he is hogged, so should i remove the little bit of 'feather' he has too, should i plait his tail?)

i only have a black show jacket too, do you think that would be ok for a novice show?

on the verge of woos-ing out, as im so nervous, and havent a clue what to expect, but want to take him along, just for the experience, sorry for what may seem like daft questions, but does anyone have any tips they could lend me!

:eek:

have you got a picture? then we can help decide and also swoon over the pretty lightweight coloured (better than the heavy ones IMO!)

is there a coloured class?
or a best riding club horse class.

would you prefer to do ridden or inhand or both?

dont wuss out its tonnes of fun, once your hooked you will ask yourself why you didnt go every weekend. :D

oh and welcome to the forum ;)

thanks for reply,

the only classes are:

tack & turnout (my saddle is a bit old too!)
family horse/pony
horse/pony with prettiest face
horse/pony judge would most lke to take home

all fun classes i guess?

happy to do ridden, as he looks good under saddle, but not sure what i will have to do, his transition from trot to canter is not always 100% as used to do a lot of driving, so not really up for cantering around too much!

piccy below of jack (not a great one i'm afraid!)

so so nervous!

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 22
Wow!! he's gorgeous, fantastic markings:)

As he's hogged it would be correct to remove his feathers and pull his tail, but plaited would be ok for local level. If I were you I'd probably enter all of the classes, you'll find you get less nervous each time you go in the ring and that will be good for both of you. If you are really worried about him spooking and being silly perhaps give family pony a miss?

The most important things to remember is to enjoy yourself/smile AND get loads of photos for us all to see :D:D

Hope you have a lovely time, and welcome to the forum!

hes stunning (and i genuinely dont say that about many!) a coloured i would love to borrow for a while... :D

tack and turnout is just making the best of what you have, as long as you, your horse and tack is clean and safe then you have as good a chance as anyone. if you search there has been loads of threads about this class recently with lots of tips.

for family horse/pony its more suited to ploddy cob types, but if you and another member of your family both ride him then enter him (i dont know how old you are but older if you are under 16, younger if you are over 16 is a rough guess)
i think those classes are ridden on the go round by one person then they swap for the show, but you will have to check with the secretary to see if that is what they mean.

are the last 2 inhand classes (does it say on the schedule?) i would put him in both because he is gorgeous :)

the only class that will have a proper ridden class format is family horse and pony (i think).
you will walk trot and canter round in a group, then change the rein in trot and canter on the other rein. then you will get called in, sometimes all at once sometimes in an order depends on the judge and time.

for the individual show you need to show walk, trot and canter on both reins and you can put in a gallop/extended canter if you feel safe and there is enough room. work on a figure of eight. start stood up infront of the judge, so they can have a look at him then walk away a few strides (very important, make sure it is straight and a nice flowing tracking up walk) then go into trot, trot the top edge then change the rein in trot, wait until the bottom corner and ask for canter, just along the short edge, come back to trot and change the rein again asking for canter at the next corner carry along the short edge and either extend or keep canter along the long side turn up the centre line in trot a couple of strides of trot then a nice walk and a square halt and salute to finish.

hope that didnt confuse you, my brain just went bleurgh and sort of spat out all the things you need to do :confused:

wow-thanks for all the advice everyone!

thanks for the comments re: jack, i think he's stunning (of course-i'm his mum!)

its not him i worry about, its me making an idiot of myself with my poor riding skills! but thanks for the tips on what to ride in the show, sure i can just about manage that....:eek:

will practice every eve this week, and have just been out and bought new (clean!) jods, and a hair net! so we should be tidy at least!

thanks!:)

Welcome to the forum and specially the showing bit of it :D Dont get worried too much ...we all had to start somewhere I have some extremely embarrasing [now!] photos its such fun to learn and Jack is such a super boybabe ;) you go knock em all dead!! Photos are a must and a huge grin essential :D

newrider.com