Flipping wellies!!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Well I have had my Caldene neoprene wellies all of two months, and today one has sprung a leak.:devil:

This is my fourth pair of various makes of wellie in 6 months. I shall take them back tomorrow for a refund, but has anyone ANY wellies to recommend for under £100 that actually last at least a couple of years? Or is that too much to expect now? Is it such a throw away society that unless I take out a mortgage for a pair I will have to expect them to leak within a short while?:help:

I could write a book about the amount of wellies I've killed since living here. I started off 6 years ago with some Hunter ones. I'd always heard such good things about them and they looked a nice comfy fit. Oh dear. They died after about 2 months - just split and leaked so binned those. After that, I've tried Tayberry, Dublin, Robinsons Requisite, Muck boot company thingies and some unbranded ones. Oh and Sherwood. All have died. I sort of wish I'd saved them and thought of a way to recycle them..........lol
Sorry, that isn't very helpful................tbh I buy cheaper ones then I don't get so upset. The Robinson ones weren't too bad and only cost £12ish so I wasn't too upset when they split.

Do you know notpoodle that is ALL the wellies we had as youngsters, and they last so well they just got handed down to the next sibling, being the youngest I hated that, they were all tatty looking by the time they got to me, but still waterproof!

I think I will now go and find some on the internet.

Well I am a 5 in the Caldene, but 6 in Hunters so I'm not really sure Nat!:biggrin:

EML - If I had got one season out of my last four pairs I would have been grateful.

Trouble is I do find wellies like diver's boots if they come up too heavy, so I'm not sure about the Dunlops for that reason alone, they look a bit clunky and heavy, are they?

I have a pair of new (worn once) muck boot derwent boots that you could have if you want me to post them, no charge, they are light green but are a very small 7 so cripple my huhmungous size 8 canoe feet! It would do me a favour, make room for another pair of boots lol that fit...:biggrin:

Let me know:biggrin:

Thanks Nat that is very kind of you....even if I have to put some thick socks on....will pm you and happy to pay postage and whatever.:smile:

YES YES YES my Bekina Agrilite wellies.

Steve bought me my first pair from the agricultural stall on our local market. I wore them to walk the dogs for 3 years and then to do horses for a year. That killed them (the sole split on the left boot eventually) so now I have another pair.

They are comfy, flock lined so warm, and wide in the leg for my thunder calves. And they cost about £35.

Nobody else on NR ever recommends them but I think they're brilliant.

YES YES YES my Bekina Agrilite wellies.

Steve bought me my first pair from the agricultural stall on our local market. I wore them to walk the dogs for 3 years and then to do horses for a year. That killed them (the sole split on the left boot eventually) so now I have another pair.

They are comfy, flock lined so warm, and wide in the leg for my thunder calves. And they cost about £35.

Nobody else on NR ever recommends them but I think they're brilliant.

Off to look these up I have been boot hunting for months after my muck boots died this year after 4 winters, they are great boots but they hurt my heels.

Yes the Dunlops are heavy and cold...but waterproof!! The HKM version of Muckboots are a good price and not as heavy as the 'real thing'. I have been using Harry Hall Eiger boots this winter, lovely and warm, not up to deep mud but good grip in snow and rideable in but so heavy my legs ache at the end of a a few hours teaching!!

Daugher has leather boots ( I think Dublin Pinnacle or similar?) which she works in all day and through the most awful gateways and washes and cleans every evening, she thinks they are the best thing she has ever had for working in winter.

Daugher has leather boots ( I think Dublin Pinnacle or similar?) which she works in all day and through the most awful gateways and washes and cleans every evening, she thinks they are the best thing she has ever had for working in winter.

Ariat Grasmere: due to pelvis issues I can't/won't wear anything but Ariat - the footbed is a class apart.

OP: the only wellington style boot i have found to be lightweight, warm and durable is Toggi, the neoprene lining makes all the difference but you are not paying silly prices to go with it

Last edited:
OH and I both have Hunter wellies - original, not warm or fancy. He bought his ten years ago to go to Antarctica.
I have had mine longer. I chose Hunter because my posh friend with whom I walked the dog used to walk in them.
They havent been worn much as dog got old and died and I had to give up the allottment due to back problems.
But my previous pair of very ordinary wellies I had since before we were married.

Because we hardly ever buy wellies, I dont understand neoprene and all these modern things. And you cant ride in ours.

newrider.com