Flowers but argh, flies

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
The cob is being bothered by the little critters when she isn't usually. Those black bodied things are about, but I actually think it's midges.
We don't get issues on our yard like this.
Anyone else sharing my boat?

I have done my own head itch, and made a decision for now, but I could be back here if that doesn't help.
I have sussed where the little critters are choosing to irritate her-AND through all that thick winter coat!

It sort of makes me think back to when an instructor said your ridden aids need to be light, a horse can feel a fly land.
Um yes but a fly is a nuisance and I don't want to be an irritation she wants to be rid of. :)

I've not noticed any flies and we normally get plenty being next to the river, hopefully you get some cold soon to ward them off a bit longer!

I've seen midges out, and we've got the vet tomorrow, to inject, as 99% sure they both have lice. Both rubbing and itching, the old boy worse than Hogan. Thought we'd at least have a breather before the flies and midges start! :mad:

I think its just lice, and there's shampoo as well. Another jab in 2 weeks to get the hatched eggs - all in all another £100 I should think.

No flies here currently but its been so mild it wouldnt surprise me to see them in warm parts of the country. We also had strong winds this morning so that probably keeping them at bay.
Ive been looking for bald patches on the cows this week. Its usually around now we start seeing them rubbing which is usually an indication of lice. We had the vet for the TB test Monday and today so theyve all been examined closely. Some of the cows i was stroking are moulting out there winter coats its been so mild.

I have seen a bumble bee and a butterfly here.
Slightly cooler today and wet so no good for shampooing.

No flies here thankfully but I’m still at the yard in the dark mostly.
Definitely no bumble bees or flutterbys either although I did spot these just peeking through the undergrowth I’m the garden this morning. I’m :) You may have too zoom in to see them.101187

Wonderful to see signs of life. :)
I was ridiculously excited to spot them this morning, I’ve been looking for days and then this morning there they were, I’ve got the very tiny tips of my bluebells poking through too. :D

I was ridiculously excited to spot them this morning, I’ve been looking for days and then this morning there they were, I’ve got the very tiny tips of my bluebells poking through too. :D

That's lovely :) I haven't ventured into our garden for what seems like an eternity! I must have a good walkabout soon. I've bulbs planted but they can be quite late up here where it's more exposed in places. Won't be long before the daffs come - hurrah!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
It was actually cold here on sunday but up the top of the hill the sun was shinning and i actually rode through wall of little midges or flies at one point as well. It was only brief but they were out.

Reactions: newforest
I dont know what they were. I had to shut my eyes and my mouth as i rode through. Could feel them hitting my face.

Found this interesting.

The swarms don't bite, they just want to mate, lay eggs and die. Personally I would be celibate then!!!
Apparently only the females bite. Now that's no surprise is it. :rolleyes:
The swarms are males looking for nookie.

"Each species has its own preferred choice of host" so whatever is annoying the cob its a horse annoying species.

newrider.com