Fly prevention - guinea's arrived

More Guinea entertainment this morning, just as I'm getting ready to go and check on my mob the town Facebook has a post about a certain 2 birds running around the housing estate (that our lane backs onto), it gave everyone something to talk about :p

Good news is they decided to come home after that and are hanging out by the coop, I put a bowl of meal worms (their favourite) out and they were munching away, hopefully if I keep the good food plentiful they will stay long enough so I can catch them!

A field just up the road from us has free range Guineas and chickens. They all seem to stay in the field and avoid the local foxes - they aren't penned at night but do get fed. Perhaps yours will now have realised where the best food is!

• Love
Reactions: Jessey
A field just up the road from us has free range Guineas and chickens. They all seem to stay in the field and avoid the local foxes - they aren't penned at night but do get fed. Perhaps yours will now have realised where the best food is!
I can but hope! :p

I thought they'd gone again as weren't around the Hank hut, but as I walked down the field to put hay out I speid them :) I am very pleased they were doing what I'd hoped, pecking around in the grass and then the muck heap :D

Attachments

• DSC_4099.JPG
    DSC_4099.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_4101.JPG
    DSC_4101.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Trewsers
And they're still there! I thought they'd gone this morning, but gave them a shout and heard them calling from the front paddock, next thing they're by the hank hut waiting for breakfast :) I'm going to need to go and get some more mealworms for them!

Reactions: Trewsers
The guinea's are so funny, they came down with the horses for dinner tonight :) I'm really pleased they are settling in. I had the chance to pen them up last night, I did for about 2 minutes but decided they seem to be staying close now and I don't want them shut in forever so nows as good a time as any.

They seem to be pecking around the track and muck heaps all day, so any less bugs is a good thing. I think I'll be adding to the flock when we can do stuff again :)

Oh darn the pigeons, then youll have the crows soon ive no doubt. Probably the foxes too. I was wondering if they were using the pen to roost in overnight. But with the pen open the foxes will have a field day if they got in there in a confined space.

Oh darn the pigeons, then youll have the crows soon ive no doubt. Probably the foxes too. I was wondering if they were using the pen to roost in overnight. But with the pen open the foxes will have a field day if they got in there in a confined space.
I don't think they are, I've not seen them roosting in there but haven't seen them roosting anywhere, they just appear when I call them. All around the Hank hut is about 50 massive leylandii so I'm hoping they are roosting in those. I think the crows and pheasants have already figured out where to food is so I'm just putting a supplement scoop's worth of seed and mealworms, hopefully enough to keep them close but not enough to feed all the wild birds too.

Eta perhaps a job for tomorrow is removing the top bit of chicken wire, so at least if a fox came they could fly out.

The guinea's are settled in :D they're already pecking around in the dirt eating something :)
View attachment 101439
View attachment 101440
View attachment 101441
Dan was really interested and stood watching them closely for at least 5 minutes, Hank had a nose too. Jessica is not so impressed, every time they peep or flap she's got eyes on stalks and rounding the boys up :p
View attachment 101442
View attachment 101443

I love guineafowl, their silly voice, I used to have one I got from the RSPCA, she had a deformed foot, we called her Ginny the Ginea and she had many years with us, great character

Reactions: Jessey
I love guineafowl, their silly voice, I used to have one I got from the RSPCA, she had a deformed foot, we called her Ginny the Ginea and she had many years with us, great character
I'd not thought about rehoming from the rspca and the like, definitely something to look into because I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea :)

I took down the remaining chicken wire today so they hopefully have some chance of escape if they get caught in there. I *think* they are roosting in the big leylandii right next to the hank hut, there's certainly a new accumulation of poop below 1 area. I've set the trail camera up inside tonight to check though as we had a big ole hail storm and when I went to feed them before it finished they were on their perch, so I've no idea, hopefully I'll have answers in the morning :)

I took down the remaining chicken wire today so they hopefully have some chance of escape if they get caught in there. I *think* they are roosting in the big leylandii right next to the hank hut, there's certainly a new accumulation of poop below 1 area. I've set the trail camera up inside tonight to check though as we had a big ole hail storm and when I went to feed them before it finished they were on their perch, so I've no idea, hopefully I'll have answers in the morning :)
They didn't roost in the hank hut, they hung out in there a little after dinner but were gone before dark and didn't come back until after sun up (forgot to turn the time stamp on the camera)

newrider.com