Fly spary reccomendations

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm sure we've done this before but a search didn't pop much up.

Jess is very sensitive to flies and to sprays, summer fly cream (the yellow stuff) is a no go and phaser spray, both caused her skin to peel inside her legs and round her udder which is where she gets bitten the most.

I make my own spray with tea, vinegar, citronella, eucalyptus, tea tree, neem and listerine which is okay and soothes bites but it doesn't last long and needs reapplying every few hours and the bugs are worse than I've ever known them this year so I'm after something gentle that works for longer.

I've used Spot On in the past but nearly choked at the price of it now :cool: I'd like to try deosect but its expensive if it upsets her skin (which I'm worried it would as it apparently works ;) o_O) and I've not had much luck with the ones in my local tack shop like NAF and Netex, recently brought the radol fly cream which is good but doesn't give the coverage being a cream. The best one that I normally use is the one aldi sells (human one in a green bottle) but I've used up my stash and they haven't had any on sale in a while :(

@Jessey I've got about 500ml of deosect left that goes out of date next month. Happy to send it over to you to try before the date goes. I found it good but I'm hopeless at putting it on every month and use the phaser and skin so soft daily with the yellow fly cream on udders and sheaths so your welcome to have a go if you like :)

Reactions: Jessey
Ive found this year that slapping sudocrem on Belles udders stops her being bitten. I also use a very light wipe on her inner thighs and along her belly of some fly repellant cream, I can't remember the name just now but used sparingly it doesn't upset her skin.
The biting insects have been awful here this year too.

I've tried a few - the Carrs(?) extra strength one is the best I have tried by far, but also the most expensive! Its in a black tall thing sprayer. I'm using the Netex extra strength ATM (because I was given it!) and that is ok. I also tried the ordinary Netex one which seemed about as effective as water :(

@Jessey I've got about 500ml of deosect left that goes out of date next month. Happy to send it over to you to try before the date goes. I found it good but I'm hopeless at putting it on every month and use the phaser and skin so soft daily with the yellow fly cream on udders and sheaths so your welcome to have a go if you like :)
Thank you that would be fantastic, thank you, I'm happy to pay postage etc

Do you use fly rugs? If so spray the deosect on that instead of their fur, that's what I do with our sweet itch ponies and seems to work :) Xx

Do you use fly rugs? If so spray the deosect on that instead of their fur, that's what I do with our sweet itch ponies and seems to work :) Xx
I do, she has a rug, mask and boots if its really bad but its around her udders they still get, on that super soft sensitive bit :rolleyes: but will do that for the rest of her

Ive found this year that slapping sudocrem on Belles udders stops her being bitten.

I'd second this. When I had a pony with sweet itch, I used to mix zinc oxide/Sudocrem with a few drops of tea tree oil and use that to put a good layer round his sheath, tail and withers, all of which were munched to high heaven by the midges and flies! He wouldn't let me near him with fly spray without making a fuss but would stand like a rock for the cream so I assume it must have had a soothing effect.

I've always used Sudocreme around my boys' sheath areas. It contains benzyl benzoate anyway. This year I bought some Nettex Summer Cream which contains neem but is safe on sensitive areas and they are loving having it applied, even the babies. Breeze cocks his leg to aid application!!! :p

newrider.com