Following on from film / book thread...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What song if any has had an effect on you? Or a particular genre of music?

I often think how powerful music is. It must have been AMAZING back in the early 50's when rock n roll music first took off - I mean finally - young people had something of their own to listen to rather than the music (much different) of their parents.
I have read somewhere that they found Elvis quite shocking!!!

So, what music or particular song moves you? (I know its prob been asked before but maybe some of you didn't answer)

I don't think I can say there is one particular song that stands out for me as it all varies greatly on my mood. I love all kinds of music too, can never sit in silence! I can relate to so many different songs, my office buddy laughs at me because every other song that comes on the radio is my favourite!

Ooooooh, a thread 'specially for me! :biggrin::bounce:

I love most music, and as some of you will be aware, blues in particular is a favourite as my son plays guitar for a blues band.

I think one of the best blues/rock songs I have ever heard is Stevie Ray Vaughns rendition of Voodoo Chile. The live version from Carnegie Hall lasts about 12 minutes and SRV's guitar solos send a shiver down my spine.

Other than that I guess what affects me most is sad, heartwrenching stuff in a minor key. The cover of 'Hurt' done by Johnny Cash, the original 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen, 'Fix You' by Coldplay and the classical piece, Adagio for Strings all hit me in the solar plexus.

I love music too...i'd be lost without my pod (ipod to normal folk) :redface:

I am a massive fan of everything from (older bands/songs) fleetwood mac, clannad, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Dire Straits through to rave music (was a bit of raver back in the day) through to pop music of today (currently loving nicki minaj & Rita Ora).

I honestly couldn't choose a favourite song because i have so many . Just depends on the mood and the day ..

Randomly been thinking about this all afternoon :giggle:

Two songs that will always bring a tear to my eye are "Time to say goodbye" and "You'll never walk alone" both were played at my Grandma's funeral and if they come on the radio by surprise I turn into a blubbering wreck!

Randomly been thinking about this all afternoon :giggle:

Two songs that will always bring a tear to my eye are "Time to say goodbye" and "You'll never walk alone" both were played at my Grandma's funeral and if they come on the radio by surprise I turn into a blubbering wreck!

Aw, I think we all have a song a bit like that.

My favourite songs change frequently.

Just now I love Flaws by Bastille and Riverside by Agnes Obel.

Generally I'll listen to a bit of anything as long as it isn't "happy hardcore" or anything equally as headache inducing!

I also think music is very powerful. I remember a program on tv when they did an experiment on twin young women. They played one upbeat music when she got up and the other more relaxed music (can't remember whether it was sombre or just relaxed). They then sent them both clothes shopping to the same shopping centre. The one who had been listening to the upbeat music managed to find lots of nice things to wear and the one who'd been listening to the downbeat music couldn't find anything that she liked.

I do believe there is such an occupation as a Music Therapist and think that must be a really interesting job to have.

I do believe there is such an occupation as a Music Therapist and think that must be a really interesting job to have.

I looked into this as career as i thought it would be interesting as well, however you need a minimum of 3 years musical training.As much as a i love music. I am not musical in any way shape or form.

Entry requirements

The minimum academic requirements for music therapy courses are:-

A high level of musicianship, students are normally only accepted if they have had a three years of musical training leading to a diploma or graduateship from a college of music or a degree from a university in music.

Very occasionally students who hold qualifications in subjects other than music, for example education or psychology, may be accepted if they have achieved a high standard of musical performance. Assessment of personality and suitability for the work also forms part of an interview when you apply.

If you have any queries about your educational qualifications and eligibility for entry, please contact the universities you wish to study at for further assistance.

To practice as a music therapist, you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Click here for more information about HCPC registration.

In order to register with the HCPC, you must have successfully completed an HCPC-approved programme in music therapy. These are offered on a two year full-time or 3-4 year part-time basis and lead to either a diploma or masters qualification in music therapy.

Interesting. What do they actually do, do you know?

pinched off the NHS

Music is essentially a social activity which involves communication, listening and sharing.

All individuals have the ability to respond to music and sound, this forms the basis of the work of a music therapist. There are a variety of approaches used in music therapy depending on the needs of the client. Fundamental to all of the approaches is the development of a therapeutic relationship between the client and the therapist.

Generally, both the client and the therapist play an active role in each session. Clients are encouraged to use a range of instruments including their own voice to explore the world of sound and to create a musical language of their own.

The purpose of music therapy is to facilitate positive changes in behaviour and emotional well being. The therapist also aims to develop an increase sense of self awareness and thereby enhancing the quality of life of the client.

Where possible music therapy is carried out in a music room where privacy can be guaranteed. Individuals or groups agree the length of each session and there is a commitment for attendance from both clients and staff. Music therapists work with children and adults of all age ranges and ability including:

pre-school children, primary and secondary school children
adolescents (outside the school system)
people with learning disabilities, mental health problems, communication problems
people with addiction problems
challenging behaviour
eating disorders
emotional and behavioural difficulties
stress management
Also, many people with no specific problem are using music therapy to gain an insight to themselves. Music can also be a great motivator.

Thanks for explaining CFP. TBH not sure now whether that sounds a bit weird! I've just got an image of someone banging a tambourine and singing tunelessly while a hippified woman in long indian cotton skirt looks on ernestly.

Thanks for explaining CFP. TBH not sure now whether that sounds a bit weird! I've just got an image of someone banging a tambourine and singing tunelessly while a hippified woman in long indian cotton skirt looks on ernestly.

Lol me also!

I would have thought giving people proper music lessons on a specific instrument might be beneficial?

Lol me also!

I would have thought giving people proper music lessons on a specific instrument might be beneficial?

Yes, learning an instrument would be good for lots of people but I guess some would benefit more from listening to music, especially if they had emotional/psychological problems. Just think how many times you've heard a bit of music that has filled you with energy, or something which has given you a feeling of calm, or has made you emotional. Music does evoke a response - think of The Verve's 'Bittersweet Symphony' - the title describes how those strings can make you feel.

Now me, I've only got to hear the first few bars of 'Lady in Red' an I'm running for the sick bucket....

Yes, learning an instrument would be good for lots of people but I guess some would benefit more from listening to music, especially if they had emotional/psychological problems. Just think how many times you've heard a bit of music that has filled you with energy, or something which has given you a feeling of calm, or has made you emotional. Music does evoke a response - think of The Verve's 'Bittersweet Symphony' - the title describes how those strings can make you feel.

Now me, I've only got to hear the first few bars of 'Lady in Red' an I'm running for the sick bucket....

Hehee so not a big Chris De Burgh fan then?!!!
Must admit they did over-play Lady In Red - it kinda stuck in the charts back in 1986 waaaay too long!

Me too ... I love most music but I loath that one!

I have a very eclectic taste in music from Mozart to Ramstien and everything in between but one piece of music that always makes me sob is Claire de lune by Debussy. It breaks my heart every time I hear it and yet it is still one of my favorite pieces of music.

Yes and while were at it, 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' brings me out in hives, too. But then to be honest so does just about everything by Bonnie Tyler.

ETA I should say there are very few songs which I hate, I can appreciate most styles of music. I am actually about to upgrade my ipod to one with about six times more storage and I bet I fill that up too.

Last edited:
newrider.com