Found my dream property

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
But it doesn't have enough land for my herd :( Lovely house.... nice garden.. stabling and storage for tack/feed/hay. In our price range leaving us mortgage free still... with money in the bank for a rainy day... chance to buy horse transport too.. Having the horses in our own backyard would save us a fair amount of money weekly that we now pay out in field rent. and travel expenses getting to and from our current field..... Just our petrol costa alone would buy one and half round bales of hay a week :(

What would you do .........

A) try to buy/rent more land locally
B) Just use what land there is for turnout and exercise( & riding) till you can source more land.
C) make do and feed hay all year round...( hay can be sourced locally reasonably priced)
D) you suggest something ???????? :)

Last edited:
Is there possibility of fields nearby you could rent?

I know where I am they rent field up road a bit so they just walk some of the horses up there to turn out but its like only few mins walk and quiet country road.

Its a very rural area.... it looks very horsey too.... looked on google earth and there lots of paddocks and fields nearby.... I would happily walk them every morning to a nearby field.... its a quiet lane the house is situated on.

Plus its only three stops further for skye on the train or me when I go to visit my family :)

Last edited:
depends on whether you think there is something out there that would give you the land you want i.e. how big a search you have done.

We don't have enough land, but it is good quality and dry, and I guess I am resigned to feeding hay most of the year. Will the land put up with the wear and tear - I rest one field for the winter, so I have a fresh field for summer, and then will harrow roll and fertilise the other one and leave it till they go back on it in October

I would like to put in an arena for training and winter turnout but can't afford it right now.

I think if it is still for sale when we sell this I am going to go with it and see what comes up locally in the way of a field to rent or summer grass livery at a yard:) Its perfect for us in everyway if it had more land.

I have even factored in some hens and my geese and a veggie garden :):bounce:

Fingers crossed and wish us luck :)

I looked at this sort of move a bit ago.

Superficially an ideal house with stables and sheds to accommodate everyone

An old tennis court area than could easily have made a turnout/schooling area, bridle path through the property to lovely hacking, negotiated separate conditional deal with local major land owner to buy five acres adjoining grazing.

Spent four months putting it together only to discover the properties snag..I did think it was cheap, surveyor identified lots of sortable problems but....

I negotiated all this in winter,visited at Easter and realised why so cheap...so close to Alton Towers opening a window in season was unbearable, don't think the horses would have coped!

There are a lot of possibilities just push for what works for you!

The other option is to move to a croft in Scotland but it will more than likely be in Caithness or the Orkneys and not to sure that.... I would not be to isolated from my family that far up :( but I would have enough land to keep my herd together :)

I like the look of Orkney. There are more puffins than people apparently. Sounds good to me. It is just a long way up though.

Its in Norfolk it has one stable and a hay shed and a garage we would convert to two more stables..... it has one acre but want to maybe buy/rent upto 2-3 acres then keep the one acre just for my ridden Fells who will be at home full time and hopefully Kira and Stormy in a field nearby????....... or keep Eva ,Lunan and Stormy full time at home stabled every night on feeds and hay???? and sacrifice the field for turn out only and let my other ponies go on loans or for sale?

or move to Scotland to 14 acres and keep the lot ....

Last edited:
1 acre we had that in Sussex and ended up putting in a sand school, and then rented 3 acres across the road - but I hate renting as you never know how long you have it for and it can be very difficult to manage.

on 1 acre we could manage the donkeys but not the horses.

newrider.com