Friesian x Percheron

DJD

What dreams may come ...
Dec 17, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Are there any members here that have a Friesian x Percheron cross? Or has anyone seen one elsewhere?

I'm strongly considering such a cross as my next horse: primarily for dressage. I've looked on Youtube and online and have seen several, but I don't know anyone with one personally.

I just had a quick google, but couldn't find many examples of a friesian x percheron - guessing its not a particularly established cross? The ones I saw looked nice enough, but they aren't two breeds I'd be crossing together especially (though I suppose it is each to their own :)). I think the Friesian/Andalusian and Friesian/Arab combinations are nicer, and certainly make more sense if you're looking for a potential dressage horse :).
If you definitely want Friesian/Percheron, I'm not sure you're going to find a lot of information unless you contact breeders. I'd ring a few Friesian breeders (or ask blackhorses on here) and see what they know/ think about them. They ought to be able to tell you a bit more, and explain why the breeds do/do not compliment each other :).

Hey...

I havent seen one, but can understand why you'd be tempted i think they'd make a wonderful x. I have seen a Freisian x Andalusian on horsemart recently. She was to make 15h and was £900 !! I was SO tempted, but 15hh is too small for me!!

If you do find an example of a freisian x percheron, will you post pictures?? I want to see if my image in my heads correct lol

do a google search to inc the US - there's a few breeders there of 'preisians' (think that's their nic-name) and some good pics
had a friend who wanted to cross her percheron with a freisian so looked into it then :)

i cant imagine that it will be a good cross, especially not for dressage.

it will just make a heavier horse, crosses tend to be made to make a finer all-rounder horse which this doesnt.

me thinks its an american thing, where they cross two expensive breeds to get a bigger price tag :confused:

xloopylozzax, it is this horse.
They look like a chunky version of the older style friesian.
chesterup.jpg

Friesian/ Percheron:
King%20Arthur.jpg

I don't think this is as nice as a true baroque Friesian (think blackhorses Wessel). It is a good-looking horse, but looks more heavy horse than Friesian. If this is what you want, then clearly that is fine, but I'm not sure they're going to be quite as agile as other Friesian crosses. Personally, I've never been keen on the Friesian/TB x either (there are some nice example, I'm not denying that) because I just don't 'get' it. I think most of the Friesian is lost, which is a real shame.
I'm very, very taken with the 'Arabo-Friesian', because I can see exactly how it works. Essentially, the horse is only a small percentage arab, but you can see exactly what the arab blood does:
L%20Dark%20Laes%20Dressage%20Trot%202%20500pxlw.jpg

Andalusian/Friesian is nice enough, but I've never been quite sure what is gained by crossing the two??? I'd rather have one or the other :). (though that youngster on horsemart was lovely :))

It entirely depends on the mare and stallion used, there are alot of both breeds which have quite weak backends and long backs especially the modern breeding fashions of both breeds, so crossing the 2 would give you something heavy with no engine! I have seen the odd nice one - there is one on youtube that jousts but if you look at his conformational shot he's got a weak bum!!
I guess it goes for crossing any breed - the 2 animals used must compliment each other, if you specifically wanted a dressage horse with friesian in it then I would go for the TB/Arab/Spanish/warmblood crosses as you will get something slightly lighter but still heaps of bone but with more stamina and agility. Also crossing 2 breeds that are bred to use working trot most of the time is probably not going to be as great at canter/gallop as they are much more suited to trot - again though a generalisation and there are plenty of individuals of both breeds that are good at the other gaits.
Also depends on wether you are heading for classical or modern dressage, if classical then go for a spanish cross(warlander) as they tend to be compact and perfect for high school work - after all andalusians are what gave friesians the trot and hair!!, if modern dressage then a TB/Warmblood/Arab cross would be better suited.
Here is a video of one of my TB cross babies - sorry not the greatest video but gives you and idea of the action - plus he's going to be a big gg - he's just over 15.3Hh and is 2 next month!!:rolleyes: Also still a really gawky youngster and his bum has just put another growth spurt on and we hogged him as he looked like a hippy!!!!:rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELiE9gJFQAE
What we are aiming at with adding the TB blood is to cross back to a friesian so you will get similar results to the Arabos as you get the added stamina and agility but with the friesian looks and temperament. We may also be looking at doing the andi cross as again it is going back to how the friesian breed was started but outcrossing will help get rid of some of the many genetic problems the friesians have due to their tiny gene pool, but selecting the right mare to cross with is a nightmare - all the suitable ones we like with just the right action and conformation are £15000+ - eeeek!! - better start saving!!!

Last edited:
Here's an example of what I'm considering (not this horse, mind you):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkRDOyUdmrA

I like the size, the looks, etc. I know it's not the BEST match of breeds for a dressage horse, but I do like the overall package. However, I have seen some that look entirely too chunky (enough to make the legs appear too short), and I tend to be drawn to the longer-legged examples.

The trouble I'm having with Arab x Friesians is the price tag. I don't have a lot to spend at this point. Plus, they don't tend to be as tall (I want a horse that stands at least 16.2, but preferably 16.3-17 hh or so).

Anyway, we'll see later this week if the horse I'm considering passes his vet exam.

Thanks for the input!

I have one!

Hey, I have just bought exactly what you are looking at! I got a priesian from Flying W Farms in Ohio, USA, they are the best! Mine is not on the site but looks exactly like the one on the below link but he is a gelding. He arrives this Sunday, I am so excited! He really looks just like a frieisan but for half the money. I have always wanted a frieisian but no way I could afford it, this is the affordable alternative so I can realise my dream! Let me know if you want to know anything particular about the cross and good luck with the horse you are looking at. They are gentle and easy to train as a rule with stunning looks!!!

http://www.flyingwfarms.com/H_RF_2008/H Ladyhawk.htm

What about a Percheron x Arab?

I love both breeds and was considering a cross myself. Don't be fooled by Percherons being heavy horses. They are extremely athletic. Friends of mine do cross country driving with theirs.

They have wonderful temperaments too.

Good luck!

newrider.com