Frustrated, yet again...

Dreamchaser

Total falls: 13
May 3, 2003
Ontario, Canada
photobucket.com
Who ever said horse ownership was easy? Well... I definately had no idea what I was getting myself into.

So what new? The problem is nothing. I still have my unhappy pony. Just when I think that I have finally found the *perfect* saddle... she will suddenly decide that she doesn't like it.

I told my dad my problem, the completely not-horse person he is, and he shocked me with his answer. He suggested I get a saddle fitter come out. I had no idea he knew what a saddle fitter is or that he would consider having one out, since it would be his money going towards this :D

So I am having a saddle fitter come out. I need, for my own sanity, to find out whether the saddle is the source of her problems.

So I do have a question. How do I really know if the saddle is bothering her, instead of other reasons such as a bad attitude?

Well, the saddle fitter will be able to tell you if the fit is good. She/he should be able to detect any back soreness. Or if you wanted you could call out an equine massage person (or chiropractor or vet) to check for soreness and muscle issues - they know a lot about horse muscles and such. Is she obviously sore anywhere on her back - even if not, she could still be sore as some horses are stoic about hiding pain.

I know you don't want to hear this :( but I still wonder if she is not happy in stall board - some people on this board have posted about how positively grumpy their horses get if in stall board - maybe she is one of them. If so, then there may be nothing you can do to change her attitude, except change her situation. Or maybe she is just not the most affectionate/carefree of horses. I used to ride a school horse that was pretty non-excited about life, and she did not ever look particularly happy or pleased with life. Or is it more than this, and your horse is openly agitated and pinning ears? Or is she just not perky?

First off, I had a chiropractor already come out to see her. She fixed a bunch of things.

And I have been thinking a lot about her stall board. I plan on at least discussing it with my RI about keeping her outside longer, even though they do not offer outdoor board. Maybe I can up her hours outside to about 12, instead of 8.

I will try and explain her attitude. She will put her ears back when I come and greet her in her stall, but somehow, I don't find this as her being angry as she always seems very willingly to get a greet and nice pat from me. Her ears will go back as people pass her, but she does not kick or show any other form of aggression. When riding her, her ears tend to stay forward with some exceptions. She puts her ears back when horses get too close, as she likes her space. She will sometimes be unhappy when I ask her to move off of my leg. And she at times will not be too pleasant when I ask her to canter; that usually entails a few bucks and the occasional rear.

I'm not sure if I am giving a the best description possible.

So the unhappiness you describe really is mainly under saddle it sounds like.

Is she happy in the field, and in the stall? Is she happy when you lunge her (with no saddle)?

Well, the saddle fitter sounds like an important first step so see what he/she says and then move forwards from there. Take it one step at a time. I know it can be difficult to be patient, but it was over 2 months before I even found a saddle that fit Skeeter, and in the first 2-3 months he went lame at walk twice! :eek: (hoof wall infection and then from scratches/mud fever just after I finally got a saddle). Plus he flipped a shoe or two as well, and other such things. But things did settle in the end, and they will for you. Just try and muster up all the patience you can and follow a methodical plan, beginning with that saddle fitter.

By the way, I forget - did the chiropractor say she had obvious soreness anywhere???

Sounds like she might feel a bit threatened in her stable, since she doesn't have a problem with you - only someone approaching/walking past...

Maybe after you have checked out everything try something like oestress? It could be moody mare syndrome! It took my mare along time to settle after I first got her, she just acted very bothered by everything, fussing , grooming, other horses in her space. Bucking - but that was probably a physical issue, possesive around feeding time etc
All of this was on full turn-out. I can imagine that a horse with similar attitude or better even might be a pain on stall board.

The only way to know is to rule out everything with professional help. Getting second opinions if necessary.
Then maybe change a few things just for kicks, to see if they make a difference... could be something stupid bothering her, some horses are particular. For example, I know a horse who will throw absolute tantrums if ridden with a half numnah, his owner finally deduced he doesn't like the stirrup leathers sitting on his sides :rolleyes:

I can't understand barns who don't have the option of turn-out? :confused: No matter how much I like the people/facilities I would have to move. What if your horse was sick and needed to be turned out in a small paddock to stop her joints swelling up?What if she had dust allergies? Or severe stable vices resulting in ulcers because of stress? Or something similar. Some horses just can't be cooped up. Sorry I'm not having a go, I just don't get it!

Scarlett 001 said:
So the unhappiness you describe really is mainly under saddle it sounds like.

Is she happy in the field, and in the stall? Is she happy when you lunge her (with no saddle)?

Well, the saddle fitter sounds like an important first step so see what he/she says and then move forwards from there. Take it one step at a time. I know it can be difficult to be patient, but it was over 2 months before I even found a saddle that fit Skeeter, and in the first 2-3 months he went lame at walk twice! :eek: (hoof wall infection and then from scratches/mud fever just after I finally got a saddle). Plus he flipped a shoe or two as well, and other such things. But things did settle in the end, and they will for you. Just try and muster up all the patience you can and follow a methodical plan, beginning with that saddle fitter.

By the way, I forget - did the chiropractor say she had obvious soreness anywhere???

She is pretty happy out in the field. She might throw in the odd buck when I free-lounge her, but not often

And yes, the chiropractor found many ribs out, her hips all out of wack and thought she might have a head ache.

I can't understand barns who don't have the option of turn-out? No matter how much I like the people/facilities I would have to move. What if your horse was sick and needed to be turned out in a small paddock to stop her joints swelling up?What if she had dust allergies? Or severe stable vices resulting in ulcers because of stress? Or something similar. Some horses just can't be cooped up. Sorry I'm not having a go, I just don't get it!

Thats okay. The reason full turnout is not offered is because of our fields, which would be too torn up if all the horses were out all the time. I also think there are few people who would actually want their horse out that much. I am trying to discuss it over with them to see if they could offer that for me, but I have a feeling that isn't going to be possible.

I have been discussing her problem a lot and found out some more information. Her previous owner had her at a certain stable, then she was leased out for a year, then was moved to another stable (which is the first time she has gotten full turnout) for a few months and then came to me. I am thinking that was a lot of moving for the past while, and has put some stress on her. She might be thinking that she will be leaving anytime. She has also been having her issues with the horses she is turned out with. She doesn't have really any friends in her field, but as the last owner told me, that is just her personality. Also, the last owner was only ridding her once a week when I came to look at her, and now I am riding her 4-5 times per week. Then on top of this I was riding her in a saddle that was too narrow for the first while she was with me. All of these, I believe have added up to the horse I have now. With a new saddle and time I really think she is going to come around.

If this is just her being a moody mare, should I give her the Moody Mare suppliments, which I believe are just dried raspberry leaves? Would that improve her mood?

Another thing. I had an absolutely perfect lesson on my pony on Thursday. I used the saddle that I have on trial. Nothing was different (other than her mane being in braids) but there wasn't even a thought of bucking, she didn't rush to the jumps and I easily rode her on a long rein. Why is it that some days she gives up a huge fight, but other days she will just plod along for me? Does this mean that she just might be actually happy with the saddle?

I have been discussing getting a saddle fitter out with my RI and she isn't too fond of the idea as she doesn't feel the saddle fitters, at least around me, don't really look at the whole picture.

Like you said she might just come right with time :) I'd give her more time before putting her on hormone supplements. Mocha settled in her own time, at least you aren't hitting the dirt because of it :rolleyes:

I actually thought of a good idea to figure out the causes. I plan to start a journal for every time I ride her. I'll write down all about the ride as well as the weather and see if I can make any connections as to why she gets that way.

Just to make you feel better (if misery likes company!), I am now having saddle woes once again. I wanted some adjustments (incl. reflocking) done on my saddle so the saddle fitter took it away. No riding of course during that time. The saddle arrived back and I am not happy with the adjustments - the saddle is still not balanced right so I need to have it taken away again for more reflocking to adjust the left panel. Just does not seem the saddle fitter did a careful enough job on the reflocking. Ugh. Saddle issues are so frustrating. :( :mad:

Good luck with your ongoing saga. Hope things settle soon for you...

newrider.com