Fun Bug

bozzey

Oct 14, 2007
Ive just started posting on this site as am new to driving (about 6 months) but loving every minute of it. I got a rescue pony for my children to have fun with, but it wasn't much fun as she'd been quite badly treated and was very nervous, head shy, kicking etc! Having her broken to drive has transformed everything - not only does she seem to really enjoy it, but she has so much more respect, listens to voice commands, and my children can now also ride her as she is just generally calmer. A driving success story so far!
My problem now is that Im looking for a fun, safe cart to use as a family thing to go out around the fields - might get into competing, but not for ages yet. Keep seeing the Fun Bug, but am also keen on something with larger wheels - my pony is medium heavy and 13.1hh. Has anyone got any experience of the Bug, I read the earlier comment on small ponies struggling with the small wheels - but on the plus side it does look very stable and lots of fun.

Never driven one, but I have been told by a lot of folk that smaller horses do struggle with the drag.

How many do you want to fit into it? Hartland do a really good pony waggonette, seat 4-6 if they squeeeze! Nice and light and well made.

Ive got OH and 3 smallish children - but one usually follows on a bike. Were you thinking about the Hartland criss cross? Hartland seem to do really nice stuff and I was looking at that sort of thing until I read another thread on here that implied its much better to stay to 2 wheels until you are quite experienced. I'm very confused about what to go for, and can't afford to make a mistake really!

re fun bug

I bought a fun bug this summer for my 13hh pony and its the best thing I have ever driven. Having had a bad accident a number of years ago in a 4 wheeler I have driven 2 wheelers since, however balance is always an issue, particularly has it had a back step and I take various people out, some weighing more than others. The fun bug is just great, I had the backstep version, balance is not a problem, its very comfy, even off road and feels very stable and safe and of course no jack knifing problems. My pony seems to move more freely than he did in the 2 wheeler and turning even tightly causes no problem whatsoever. I thoroughly recommend them!

I bought a fun bug this summer for my 13hh pony and its the best thing I have ever driven. Having had a bad accident a number of years ago in a 4 wheeler I have driven 2 wheelers since, however balance is always an issue, particularly has it had a back step and I take various people out, some weighing more than others. The fun bug is just great, I had the backstep version, balance is not a problem, its very comfy, even off road and feels very stable and safe and of course no jack knifing problems. My pony seems to move more freely than he did in the 2 wheeler and turning even tightly causes no problem whatsoever. I thoroughly recommend them!

excellent.. thats what i wanted to hear... no more excuses miriam.... i'm getting a fun bug.. like it or not :p

Not a problem as seen as the size you will have to get will fit both horses :p

Next question is what sort of shows can you do with them?

We drive our 11hh pony to a Fun Bug & he loves it. Found it slightly difficult to turn at first as was used to a turntable, but quickly got the hang of it. Gives a lovely off-road ride too.
We find it great because my son hops in & out at various times & we don't have to worry about the balance etc.
Also like it because it fits me & both of my children on the seat without a squash. (Youngest is only 3 so little weight or space taken up!)

newrider.com