Gentle Constructive criticm wanted - riding video

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Gentle criticism only please but do tell me faults i need to work on! I know my riding in the trot needs work on and i move my upper body to much in canter, oh and my toes stick out - anything else? I do find that saddle difficult/uncomfy to ride in - might get a seat saver!

http://youtu.be/xO8r6Loz3IY

Last edited:
the leg yielding at the beginning, your horse has too much flexion in the neck and as such isnt using his body or legs underneath him properly. Ther should only be a gentle flexion away from the direction of tyravel. Your hands open too much, keep them closer to his neck and personally I would leg yield whilst travelling foreward, this will help him use his body more.

the leg yielding at the beginning, your horse has too much flexion in the neck and as such isnt using his body or legs underneath him properly. Ther should only be a gentle flexion away from the direction of tyravel. Your hands open too much, keep them closer to his neck and personally I would leg yield whilst travelling foreward, this will help him use his body more.

Should have added - i wasn't leg yielding as as you say that involves forwards as well as sideways.

We ride nh style so was going sideways. The open hand is to try and encourage him to go in that direction, to give him comfort to move sideways but yes agree as we get better then i do need to tone that aid down, will toning that down make him have less neck flexion, or does he just need more impulsion to do that?.

Thank you for the critique though, all useful :smile:

Last edited:
Sorry to sound dumb but was it NH style? Are! just came to me, Natural Horsmanship. I don't know much about it so I can't really coment. Lovely horse/pony:smile: you look well together.

Sorry to sound dumb but was it NH style? Are! just came to me, Natural Horsmanship. I don't know much about it so I can't really coment. Lovely horse/pony:smile: you look well together.

Different words for same things sometimes. I only mentioned it as it does mean we do do some things a little differently at the beginning of learning (we haven't been going sideways long so am just really learning to go away from leg and seat and that legs don't always mean forwards.) ultimately though it doesn't make a lot of difference so feedback is useful from all types of riding.

Thank you for your nice comment, i always worry that i look big/heavy on him as he is only 13.3hh and i am 5ft 2. I always struggle with my position too (especially lower leg) as constantly think it's not very good.

I for one can not critique as my riding is not a good level but I love to school.

I could see what you were doing in the side ways movement and I actually find sideways while not going forward harder than when going forward!!!! but yes there is to much flexion which means he is running out through his shoulder. I know you are opening your hand to show him where to go and invite him to move in to it that is the same as my classical teacher teaches... But you should only open and invite at the start of the movement and once he takes a step bring your hand in a bit more each time.

I like seeing people actually schooling their horse and you had a lovely connection with him oh and you look perfect on him. It does look like he makes you work quite hard in the canter? does he?

I for one can not critique as my riding is not a good level but I love to school.

I could see what you were doing in the side ways movement and I actually find sideways while not going forward harder than when going forward!!!! but yes there is to much flexion which means he is running out through his shoulder. I know you are opening your hand to show him where to go and invite him to move in to it that is the same as my classical teacher teaches... But you should only open and invite at the start of the movement and once he takes a step bring your hand in a bit more each time.

I like seeing people actually schooling their horse and you had a lovely connection with him oh and you look perfect on him. It does look like he makes you work quite hard in the canter? does he?

Thank you, yes it makes sense to only offer the open rein at the start - i will try to remember to not leave it there.

Yes, canter is well, taking a bit of work. If allowed he does this really slow canter that goes nowhere fast and while it is 'correct in foot sequence' and very very comfy i have been told i need to get him using more impulsion. He tends to keep canter ok but i do have to remind him not to go at walking pace - and he doesn't like going in the soft deep bit at one end of the school. We've mastered getting the right leads now but again that has taken a bit of time too as he did favour one rein quite a bit when i first got him. He has some speed on him when he wants to but that is mainly reserved for hacking lol

(We've only been hacking for about 6 months too, but he's been getting really good at that and quite brave)

The only things I noticed was that sideways to the right does slightly go forwards. He is not as balanced that way with the crossing over. I had to do quick run through in my brain re sideways, initially you open way out but gradually you need less rein and the horse reads your body. So depends on how far on you both are.
It is the direct rein that is asking for flex and your indirect for the direction.
For me and just personal I always ride forwards after a back up even if it is a few steps.

The school looks super to ride in, couldn't really see much more as only got small screen.
You both look happy together.

Nh is also western, they do a lot of similar stuff. :)

Last edited:
newrider.com