Getting a horse over their fear.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I'm sure some of you don't agree with using horse walkers but I'm soon going to be away from the yard for 2 weeks and need to keep ale moving.

So I've decided to try and get him comfortable with the walker so he can go on it for the odd half hour when I'm not there.

Yesterday was day 1, I only have 9 more days to try this. Yesterday we progressed from not even wanting to walk onto to standing on it with me for a few mins. We also watched it going round from the safety of outside and he gradually relaxed.

Then this morning we stood outside it again whilst it went round with a horse on this time. He stood calmly watching them go round.

Any tips for helping him feel okay on the walker? Tonight I'm going to lead him on again and give him a feed on there. Then in the next couple of days I hope to get to the point where someone can shut the gate with us in there. And eventually start it up.

I'm going to borrow his friend and put him in the section in front as he's not fussed at all about going on it.

Any other tips/ advice. He's not terrified just gets very tense and jumpy but relaxes as time goes on.

You know it's weird but my Storm was fine on the horse walker on our last yard. It surprises me looking back - as I'd half expected her to be scared, given that she's normally spooky and wary of new stuff.
I think you are doing well getting him used to it. I just popped madam on without thinking - but, Joe was her bestie and leader and he went on first and she just must have felt safe cos he was there too.

Reactions: MrA
I will definitely try with his best buddy on there when we give it a go for real then, thanks for your reply, hope he will get confidence from him.

He was very good tonight so a very short session. He walked straight on and had a feed, then we stood for a minute or two. Then I moved the paddles about a bit with my hands (so they creaked) he was slightly jumpy at this but soon settled. We walked out of it calmly so I turned him around and we stood right next to it while it was on, he tried to walk in at one point so alot calmer than yesterday.

Stopped the walker, walked him onto it which he did with very little hesitation, gave him a treat and some pats, stood for a while and then left. He was much calmer today.

Tomorrow I'm going to try standing on it with the gate shut, if I can find someone to shut it that is! I can always duck behind the paddles if I don't feel safe.

I'm sure he will find being confined on it a little more scary so slightly worried he will attempt to barge out. But I will see if he is relaxed before doing any more.

A pic
12916065_10156756805255156_4448218329625828954_o.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
Its funny Ale, as ,my boys had never been on a walker but when at my yard we have one I just walked them on and turned it on I didn't give it a thought they would not be OK with it. I am a awful mum.

I love the walker when you have to horses to ride in the winter it is great to warm up or cool down one one them. Also after a bath I pop them on to dry off.

Reactions: Trewsers
You're not an awful mum, ale is just a bit special! He's not very keen on confined spaces and new things and his reaction is to run away. Just trying to get him nice and relaxed and calm so he realises it's no big deal. Day 2 and he's already walking on with no hesitation, I'm very pleased

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
So so pleased. In just 4 days we have gone from nervous twitching and scared of even going on...

...to calmly walking on (with a bribe of carrot) walking round like a pro not at all scared, and waiting calmly to be taken off (not barging!)

Just 5 sessions of no more than 10mins work and he's already so much happier. Will stick at it every day until my op, just so he feels super happy on there. Some days just walk him on and give him a treat, other days get him going round for a few laps.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
newrider.com