Getting discouraged

Oct 1, 2005
Seattle WA
So I've been searching for a horse to lease. I first went out to see Dream, but the owner never got back to me about when I could ride him, then came Shak whose owner waited until the next day after I'd been out to meet him to say that she couldn't have someone who wasn't an employee ride on the property [she knew for a week before I came out] then came Yukon. Who is the only horse I've actually been able to ride. Well I've been WAY out of practice and the only riding I've done for 4 months is trotting my friends horse up and down the road, no cantering or jumping. So when I ask Yukon for a canter he takes off at a speedy canter, I'm posiative my face said OH CRAP! not too good of an impression. Well apparently he's on of those horses whose been trained lean foward means speed up, but I've been taught to have a very foward post, and a foward canter position. So to ride him I would pretty much have to completely reverse my position, not an easy thing to do and I really thought that after a few weeks I really would be unhappy leasing him, so I told the owners we weren't such a good match. What I'm trying to do is find a horse I can ride 2 times a week for $100 a month, which is harder to do then I origanally thought, so now I feel bad for getting picky about the horse I lease it's one of those "beggars shouldn't be choosers" things. So I'm getting pretty discouraged, and I'm almost wondering if I should kinda just stop looking until I turn 16 and I can drive myself since right now some of the horses I've found my dad doesn't want to drive me out too. I LOVE horses and I LOVE riding and I would hate not having them in my life, but maybe this is best if I just wait. I don't turn 16 for 8 months so that would be a year without consistant riding which right now sounds like an impossible thing too do.

dont worry - it took me about four months and about 10 horses before i found one i would share. and then i still made a rush decisiion and should have taken more time.

keep looking. im not sure that price is unreasonable, especially if you throw in some yard work as well.

good luck

It certainly makes it easier when you can transport yourself. While you're looking, why don't you put the $100 in the bank each month. Then, if you don't find a lease, you'll have a chunk saved up towards buying your own when you can... Even if that's not practical, you could use it to go on a riding holiday :)

Ross

newrider.com