getting frustrated now, can anyone help please?

angel01

Jan 20, 2009
Chshire
Hi everyone

Just signed up think this site is great

I need some advise if you can, for some weeks now I have been having problems with my legs, I have noticed now and again they move forward and my RI has to keep telling me to get my leg back. ALSO Just recently I seem to be tensing up as well, I feel like I am going backwards instead of forwards which is not good as my RI said a couple of months ago she did,nt think it would be long before i move up.

Now I have a son that rides on the same lessen 4.30 Jump he has slight autisim but he rides really well and i was secretly told that I have been kept down as to encourage him so he can progress and that we will both move up together.

i am trying SO hard to impress in order to get moved up and I think this is what is making me make stupid mistakes like tensing up.

can anyone help me give me some advise to what I can do to loosen up a bit,

I am 42 yrs old and blaming it on age LOL,,,,,,

can anyone suggest why this is happening and what i can do to correct it??

Thankyou

i think its all linked into one. If your legs go too far forward you end up sitting back in the saddle and getting behind the movement. this can make you unbalanced (sometimes not even enough for yourself to conciously notice) and then because your unbalanced you tense up. Trying thinking about when you ride that your legs should be under you not infront
Work without stirrups might help aswell because it improved your balance
hope that helped

Hi, I have that problem as well. My RI keeps on telling me to put my legs back especially if I'm trotting. I think if I am aware of it and continously move them into the correct position that eventually they will stay there! I am 41 so can sympathise with you.:D

I also have the same problem, I looked at some pictures of me riding and I was shocked to see how far forward my legs were. I think its due to gymkhana in my younger years when we did loads of galloping around with no stirrups and holding on with my knees. I am now concious to bring my legs back all the time and sit up taller with my heels down. i'm getting there but it's hard.

I bought some straps from the tack shop that secures the stirrups to the girth to keep the legs secure but only used them for a couple of mins as I felt really unsafe. You could give them a try, i think they costs about £8

Mmmm go for a hack or set up a few jumps or a games course :) sometimes you learn more when you're having a bit of fun :) stickability comes with practise while you're enjoying yourself.

About the leg thing...

1. MOST saddle have the stirrup bar positioned too far forward, so your leg AUTOMATICALLY gets put forward (like you're sitting in an armchair) so it might not be your fault.

2. i generally think.. sit up tall, look ahead, keep your heels down-ish (i know abotu the parallel to the ground thing but try that when you're jumping), then HAVE FUN.

Riding should be about having some crack, doing the best not to get in your horses way and having A HUGE SMILE on your face throughout.

Mad? yes
Does it work? Yes! (I teach a bit:) )

newrider.com