Getting painkillers for horses trim

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
This might be a really stupid question. Ales behavior is getting progressively worse for his trims. At first I thought he just wasn't settled at the yard but now I'm thinking pain.

He's okay when I pick his feet out but not great like he used to be, but fine for a quick pick out.

He's got his vaccs and teeth in a couple of weeks so I'll speak to the vet then, wondered about getting bute to use for a few days occasionally before a trim, or something similar.

Given that he's had a previous diagnosis of sacroiliac degeneration and arthritic changes to his fetlocks, stifles and sacroiliac/ back do you think they will want to do diagnostics first or just likely to accept that he needs them. I'm trying to work out if I need to let them know before the visit that I'd like to discuss painkillers etc.

He's fine in himself, moving nicely in the field, lying down, rolling fine etc. No issues with the hooves themselves either.

I've known a few people do that and the vets never felt the need to check the horse over first if there was a previous diagnosis of something like arthritis. The owners would generally give bute for a couple of days before the visit and it seemed to do the trick. Also if he's stiff it may help to take him for a short walk in hand just before the farrier comes to try and loosen him up a bit.

Reactions: MrA
I've known a few people do that and the vets never felt the need to check the horse over first if there was a previous diagnosis of something like arthritis. The owners would generally give bute for a couple of days before the visit and it seemed to do the trick. Also if he's stiff it may help to take him for a short walk in hand just before the farrier comes to try and loosen him up a bit.
That's good to know, I'm hoping I can just tag it onto the visit and get a few bute or something to try. I have some but they are very ood.

I've tried exercising him lightly prior and doing stretches but they've made no difference to his behavior. Today he had a gallop around the field first too, not sure if that is helpful though! I also popped a drying rug on in case he was getting cold.

Reactions: carthorse
Jess went through a phase a year or two ago when her behaviour was getting progressively worse for shoeing, I already had bute prescribed for her to use as needed and gave her a dose the morning of the farrier visit and it made a huge difference to her behaviour, it was much improved. We’ve since made great strides with her feet (she doesn’t have arthritis, but navicular/ddft issues and it was holding all the weight on one front foot that she couldn’t tolerate for long) and she no longer needs it.

I put my arthriticky retired one on Bozmerix and the difference is huge. Even the farrier said his gait was so much better, ie he doesn't drag his back legs anymore. He couldn't lift them up much either before and now has no problems.

newrider.com