Girth

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I MUST remember to check my girth when I'm on! Earlier in the week I'd got a ride in before it got too hot & muggy, just a short one mostly in walk with a little trot. Coblet was his usual welsh self, merrily pointing out every dustbin & pretending pigeons were dragons, not to mention seeing if he could produce a trot that would trigger the slow down signs on the main road lol. Got back & asked a friend if she wanted a quick sit since she's got to get a new saddle and is considering a more modern version of his, it was only as she started to walk him round the yard that I noticed daylight between him and the girth . . . Needless to say I quickly tightened it for her! I know I hate over-tightening girths & I had noticed he'd dropped a bit of weight - a good thing - but that's going a bit too far, particularly on a flat backed native!

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
Well obviously you are a nicely balanced rider. I was always terrible about tightening Ziggy's girth and once I met my RI driving along the road as I was coming home from a hack. She screeched to a halt and leapt out, crying, "I can see daylight under your bloody girth!" We had been trotting and cantering....

You sound as bad as me! I do tend to check it if I've found somewhere to canter, a few times he's put in some decent sidewards spooks cantering out & I'd rather not trust my balance that much lol

Oops, I rarely recheck my girth after we get going, unless she's being a particular tit or something feels off.
I hopped on a friends horse at a show once to take him in a class last minute, got in the ring waiting on the judge and there was screams from all over, turns out she'd loosened his girth after the last class, I hadn't checked it and it was now completely undone and swinging freely between his legs :oops:

newrider.com