Girthy - tell me about Stubben string girths

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
Despite just having had his saddle refitted to him, Kali is once again very, very girthy. I've got a chiro coming out to him (I don't think standing in for four weeks will have helped his suppleness/back) and he is a bit porky, but I wondered about changing his girth to see if that made a difference. He currently wears a Wembley leather Atherstone with a fleece girth sleeve - but he either gets his teeth out or grinds his teeth (his way of internalizing stress) EVERY time we girth up these days. I always girth up slowly - first hole on each side when saddle goes on and then gradually do up as I go about tacking him up/sorting, and then final girthing up before I get on. Also, he's very girthy when the saddle first goes on, but if I put the girth up (from the ground) after he's worked a little, he's just fine - no ears back, no nipping, no nasty faces and no grinding teeth. Does this mean he could be a tad cold backed? He doesn't buck under saddle (at all), but he does make a face when the rider (any rider - me, my trainer, my daughter - all different shapes and sizes) first gets on.

Hmmmmmm - any thoughts?

N

It could be a response to the thought of pain? If he's had issues in the past some horses will continue to pull faces afterwards at the thought of it hurting even if it isn't.

If you are having him checked over and all seems ok then I would think that this may be the case. The only way I've ever seen a horse improve is from slow, gentle and consistent saddling. Waiting for the reaction to subside and then rewarding when the horse doesn't pull faces.

I agree overall. I don't think cold backed really exists as a separate condition - it is either memory of pain, existing pain or a milder discomfort, or perhaps something more to do with ridden work. Is the Atherston wide, padded and strong elastic at both ends? I have heard of horses that love the mohair sring girths but in my experience the right Atherstone works for the majority of horses.

I use a stubben string girth on Izzy and he is fine with it. Am really pleased with it.

Another idea: my friends horse is very defensive when being saddled and girthed - tries to bite, breaks numerous head collars etc. She had an RA out for some ideas. Basically RA said that he has had very rough handling before (exracer) and he is expecting pain. My friend had tried to do things quickly but the RA said she has to get him used to being touched all over the saddle and girth area with firm pressure. If he moves away, she moves with him and maintains the pressure. She is basically taking the time to show him that being touched here is not going to hurt. Over about 2 weeks of spending about 10 minutes doing this before saddling he has improved so much, it is amazing.

I use a stubben string girth on Izzy and he is fine with it. Am really pleased with it.

Another idea: my friends horse is very defensive when being saddled and girthed - tries to bite, breaks numerous head collars etc. She had an RA out for some ideas. Basically RA said that he has had very rough handling before (exracer) and he is expecting pain. My friend had tried to do things quickly but the RA said she has to get him used to being touched all over the saddle and girth area with firm pressure. If he moves away, she moves with him and maintains the pressure. She is basically taking the time to show him that being touched here is not going to hurt. Over about 2 weeks of spending about 10 minutes doing this before saddling he has improved so much, it is amazing.

Tiga, thanks for this - very helpful! He is funny about his girth area in general so perhaps he's dwelling on remembered pain . . . will try this.

N

newrider.com