Gloves - not necessarily winter weight tho

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I am needing some new riding gloves - don't really want thick club handed affairs - I need to feel the reins properly! I have some Carrots ones but they are getting worn now - just wondered if anybody knew of good leather ones?

I have some lovely Mark Todd leather ones which are fleece lined, i ride in them all the time.

Same as these, the black ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARK-TODD...DING-GLOVES-CHOOSE-COLOUR-SIZES-/140849970501

The leather is lovely and soft.

For winter I have these ones and I love them. I'm so fussy about gloves for riding in and these are great because they are warm but I can still feel the reins.

I think it is these I've got for warmer weather

http://www.rbequestrian.co.uk/470446/products/bridleway-competition-riding-gloves.aspx

I'll need to check it is them though but again I love them, you can really feel the reins through them.

I hate gloves with cotton material, I wear holes in them within a week and gloves that are imitation leather give me horrible sweaty hands.

I really like Roeckl. Although they are synthetic they are as comfortable as leather and have fantastic feel.

I buy the cheapest ones as they are quite dear!

I love my Mac Wet gloves, not leather but warm and comfy with fab grip and feel. Had mine over two years now and sadly they are just starting to show signs of wear.

i love my Macwet short cuff gloves - had them a few years, still going strong. I prefer the short cuff version, i have the standard ones that the velcro is on the wrist but the short cuff are much more comfortable, i highly recommend them!

i love my Macwet short cuff gloves - had them a few years, still going strong. I prefer the short cuff version, i have the standard ones that the velcro is on the wrist but the short cuff are much more comfortable, i highly recommend them!

Oh Julie what size are you? I had a pair of the short cuff ones as a Xmas gift last year but don't like them as much as the standard ones, only tried them on, fancy a swap?

Toggi Xtreme. They're brilliant, my pair are falling apart after 4 years of constant use so I'm getting a new pair for Christmas. They're the only gloves I've ever had where you feel a real contact with the reins and have amazing grip even in the wet. I use them everything I ride. They're not super warm or insulated but I use them all winter in Scotland and do fine. I find the winter gloves way too thick to feel a real contact

Oh Julie what size are you? I had a pair of the short cuff ones as a Xmas gift last year but don't like them as much as the standard ones, only tried them on, fancy a swap?

Think mine are a 7.5 pos, what colour are they? I would be interested in buying them off you as my longer ones have now got holes in the fingers so I just use them for lunging (those gloves are my originals and about 4 years old!)

Roekl like Jane. We share expensive tastes? And you can feel the reins perfectly. Because they are thin I find they do wear out. After four years or so. And a fox bit a finger off one of mine I dropped outside. Must have thought it was real leather.

Mr Skib is frugal and rides in the cheapest cotton bubble gloves except when it is really cold (think frost). But there are warmer Roekl gloves. For winter I got him a slightly thicker pair of Roekl and it is my belief he has lost his and is probably wearing mine. Have made him promise that we will get out all the Roekl gloves and do a roll call.

The other winter gloves I used to wear a lot and always wore when working on the yard are fingerless Woofwear Your hands seem to stay warm even though your finger tips arent covered and its brilliant for dealing with buckles on tack. I saw a Japanese tourist in London using his smart phone with similar gloves - so maybe they are now fashionable.

I am a glove fanatic as I have Raynaud’s Syndrome, basically poor blood supply to the extremities in my case particularly hands. I can be reduced to tears ( trust me thats not at all normal for me!) by the pain of frozen hands so I have tried many gloves!!

Current favourites are sealskinz with merino wool liners as well for working (too much like paws to ride in!) , Mark Todd winter gloves for riding most of the year and plain leather ones for high summer.

Daughter has Roekls in many colours, champagne for dressage,chamios for sidesaddle, and brown for showing...oldest pair become schooling gloves. Unfortunately with her amount of riding they only last a few months...big downside is when they are well worn they smell revolting inspite of washing regularly!!

Mine smell like dirty socks. Makes sense really as hands and feet could sweat the same way? Anyway, one of the amazing things I discovered when I learned to ride was that one needs to think of gloves in the same way as socks, and wash them quite often. Hence we have quite a lot of those cheap cotton bobble ones - and two Roekls too these days. I may wash three pairs at once in the bathroom and hang them straight over the bath to dry.
It is a bit shaming how much brown dirt comes out. So I may leave them to soak for 10 minutes or so.
If I were a professional like you and your daughter, riding several horses a day, and had socks to go in a machine wool wash cycle, I guess I might try putting an old pair of gloves in with the load to see how they do. But my gloves are so disgustingly dirty and the Roekl ones so precious, that I have never done that.
There is a big difference between professionals like yourselves for whom riding clothes are work clothes and people like me for whom riding is a luxury and who cherish anything that has cost more than the minimum. What happens to my older Roekl gloves is that the outside coating peels off. But the cotton ones shrink and go into holes. Cost per wear probably not much different?

newrider.com