Got my new torsion treeless saddle and what do I think of it ?? ...

horseygirl123

Feb 10, 2007
essex/suffolk border
Its the best thing since sliced bread !!!

Got it delivered yesterday its a torsion gp saddle and boy am i impressed! The difference is tara is amazing, she's moving freely, stepping under nicely, working into a lovely outline with very little contact, and all in all a very happy girl :D

And me, my position has greatly improved, non of this shooting leg forward in trot because the stirrup bars are set too far forward, the saddle is soooo comfy its like sitting on your sofa :p
Rode her in the school yesterday and at first she was still quite 'choppy' but after a while of realising that the saddle wouldnt restrict her she went beautifully.
Then today we went out on a hack with my husband cycling next to us, and we both really enjoyed it, even had a wee bit of a gallop :)

Some pics to follow shortly, but first wanted to ask if anyone else has a treeless, do you wash the numnah in the washing machine? Im using the Equitex Memory Foam Saddle Pad but after riding in the school yesterday it was very sweaty ( I usually wash my numnahs after every use. So today I put my polypad underneath it (altho not entirely sure that would be ok :confused:)
I've also got a 'Christ' Lammfelle Lamb Skin Pad with Foam Inserts saddle pad and wondered also how you wash that?
One last question :p .. which is best, the lamb skin pad or the equitex one?

Ok thats enough rambling, heres some pics ........

All saddle up and ready to go .....
notsureaboutthissaddlemum.jpg

Out on our hack today, not the best picture of us, the picture was taken without knowing it, altho tara has that look in her eye as if to say, not another one!! Its shows off the saddle well tho! ..........
outonournewsaddle.jpg

Looking good :) Both pads are equally good and shouldn't need washing too regularly - the Equitex can be sponged off and the Christ pad brushed with a dog brush.

Looks lovely, I am looking at the treeless all the time in preparation for next year with Morse:D R they as comfy as everyone says?

I have 2 equitex pads, they don't ingrain with dirt so a brush with a stiff brush will get all the dried sweat and muck off, I have sewn some non slip car boot liner underneath one of mine that makes it even easier to keep clean.

Looks fab - I was considering getting one for my boy as he's so wide and still growing. I've heard they can be good for wider cobs as I know his previous owner had to search for ages to get a saddle to fit him - don't think that's such an issues with treeless saddles?

Ive got a torsion with an equitex pad and just give it a quick brush and wash about once a month. I did use a thin saddle cloth underneath the Equitex for a time but was told thats not really a good idea because the pad is supposed to be porous and allow the horses skin to breathe. The only thing thats really annoying is when my Icelandic is moulting his winter coat and its REALLY hard to get all the loose hairs off the pad, tried stiff brushes and everything I can think of. If anyones got any better ideas would be pleased to hear them.
They are really comfy saddles.

well, I think you have confirmed my thoughts about these saddles and that is def what I will get.

Your mare looks happy enough with it:D Very smart:D

I tried one like that on my horse, it was god awful...it rolled around on his back something rotten, but then all his saddles do that with him (not that we've had loads of saddles!!) and also when I sat on it, it made me feel as if i was perched on him, rather than sitting on him.

We now do have a treeless for him, but a different make and it's fab! it doesnt slip, it's comfortable for both him and his riders, we;ve had it a year now, and quite honestly for him, wouldnt go back to tree'd saddles.

could just ask, when you go up hill does it feel like your slipping out the back?? my friend had one and thats what she said (it felt like i was going to slip out the back). just wondering thats all:confused:

No not at all, and today it went through the full scale test!
Went for a 3 hour cross country hack, which included uphill and downhill canters, logs to jump, ditches to climb over, and some pretty fast gallops and the saddle stayed put no problem and i never ride with an overtight girth so i'd definately give it the thumbs up :D

newrider.com