Grass nuts for condition

I used them for Star my old lady who struggles with her weight and they were working a treat before she went on loan. I do like the SS feeds. My friend used them for an underweight mare in foal he bought from our local dealer :rolleyes: She is a ID (we think) you could see the changes within a month or two, foal was born looking fab.

Liz

Hey

We use grass nuts quite a lot at our yard.

We have a pony that has melanoma's (sorry cant spell) so she gets fed grass nuts as she goes out with a grass mask on due to she cant eat hay and there is hay in the field. She gets fed 2 scoops soaked a day and she looks fab!

They work really well for us!

they are great for building condition but just make sure you soak them properly as although they can apparantly be fed dry they swell rather rapidly once wet so to avoid any chance of colic it is far safer to soak them.

N/A yes I got them from SS via the chap with the mare I talked about in the previous post. I got 3 bags of Grass Nuts and 3 bags of Sugarbeat for around £55 I think.

Liz

I use grass nuts but get mine from a local feed merchant. I pay about £6.50 for a 25k bag.

I contacted Northern Crop Driers as they come up a lot if you search for grass nuts and although they couldnt supply theirs to my area, they told me that most areas have a local person who do the same sort of thing. Mine are sourced locally but bagged in the same bags as Northern Crop Driers. (Picture of horse, cow and sheep on the bag). They are produced as a general animal feed. I only use a very small amount because my lad is a v good doer but it keeps him ticking over nicely and works out v economical.

I used to use SS feeds but had problems with their alfalfa based products and when trying to find something along the same lines, found this by accident - never even thought about trying their grass nuts :eek:

Ive just had a look on the northern crop driers site and found a place on the stockists list that isn't a million miles away, so might phone up and ask if they have any:)

Would be worth asking your local feed merchant too. They may be able to get some or have a more local supplier.

Dengie do alfalfa pellets. Cost about £7 a bag, 20kg weight.

They are 100% alfalfa with no molasses.

They are high in protein though which is why i fed them to my lactating mare, so they might not be suitable for all horses.

We used to feed them soaked to our old pony to put weight on her.

Now I am feeding them to the youngster to try and keep weight on him.

I would try and get them from your local feed merchant.

They are not that dear, I think mine were around the £6.50 mark too.

newrider.com