Grazing muzzle advice needed

Hi,

I have just bought a fabric one for my pony. She last had Laminitis 3yrs ago due to a Steriod injection. She also has COPD and is on a small paddock alone. Keeping up with the poo is killing me as my baby Girl is due in exactly 4 weeks!

She is depressed and I want to put her out in the big field so she can gallop and have company and wondered if this would be ok so long as she has the grazing muzzle on?

Hiya,
I got a Shires grazing muzzle due to Perrie putting too much weight on & i was hoping to cut the grazing down.
Unforunately it rubbed all under her chin & caused sores.
I've been told My Best Friend grazing muzzle is really good.
I haven't tried it yet, so i don't really know.

Hope the grazing muzzle works out for you better than it did for me.

I recommend the Greenguard muzzle. It's made of tough plastic, but because it attaches to the horses' headcollars it doesn't rub and still allows them to eat and drink, although the food intake is much restrained.

I'll try to post you a picture of Pegs.

Attachments

• th_Pegaso2.jpg
    th_Pegaso2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 15
  • misc 067a.jpg
    misc 067a.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 19
I used the Greenguard one and it broke within 1 week and kept coming off on one side so Rosie could eat completely unchecked.

The shires on I have I had put on so it is very low and there is a good gap between the bottom of the muzzle and the lips, so far it hasn't rubbed.

The greenguard one would have been good, as they can graze with it on, but it needed to come higher up the nose so that they could not wriggle out of it.

Used grass muzzle for last few weeks. Use it every other day. Have kept Amber in for the day and ot at for the night. I have used it with a browband to keep it on. reason we have had to use a grass muzzle was for weight control. Brought it off e-bay. will find out which make it is and post later

One of the straps in the Greenguard broken after a couple of weeks (I used to use it to prevent Pegs from biting when handled and during turnout, otherwise he could only try his teeth on us on the way back to the stable... :rolleyes: ). I resorted to using baling twine instead to keep in place, and it worked.

I still have the Greenguard main bit: If anybody wants it, I can post it, s long as you cover P&P charges. It will work with strings in replacement for the missing straps.
I hope I'll never have another biter as long as I live... :(

Greenguard now make more sofisticated muzzles, with a proper headcollar incorporated.

I had a quick look at a Greenguard headcollar and I may not have looked closely enough, but it looked very substantial with no breaking points, so not ideal for turnout. I may have missed something but I didn't think so.

Tip with the Shires/ Best Friend muzzles is to not get one that just fits, else it will rub. They have to be able to chew with it on, so anything that fits very closely isn't good. Better go for a size larger and pad it out with some furry stuff or something (though I don't bother - it still stays on!)

that is the one I have for Rosie but she is unable to eat with it on so I only use it for a few hours at a time.

generally she has 2/3 hours first thing, then either back into small paddock, then another 2/3 hours later in day. today she has had the muzzle on as she was leaning over the fence inthe starvation paddock to eat the grass outside, so muzzle on to stop that.

with laminitis there isn't really a season it is just an ongoing thing, and inthe winter you have to prevent threm grazing on frosted grass.

I tried the Shires one and Remi ripped a hole in the bottom within 5 minutes.I now have him in a Greenguard with the proper headcollar and have had no problems with it,no rubs.I cut a couple of the straps too short but these are replaced free of charge.I emailed them and they sent me four new straps which came 2 days later.

agree with big ears, laminitic owners have to be vigilant ALL year round. she should be fine in the big field as long as theres not lots of grass and she keeps the muzzle on. greenguard are rubbish. we have used the Best Friends muzzles with huge success over the past few years. minimal rubbing and stays put.

This is of great interest to me as my pony is recovering from laminitis. Someone has given me one of those bucket muzzles, tried it today, his first 1/2 hr out , but he doesn't seem to get any grass through at all.Am now worried it will rub him as it is a snug fit.

newrider.com