great first lesson-no more jitters!

rainbowangel

Feb 21, 2007
thanks for your support everyone,you are all so nice. i LOVED my first lesson and i manged to get a private lesson after all.i was on a horse called smudge,he was lovely. the ri said i was good for my first lsson. i even did quite well on my first trot albeit whilst being lead. im quite proud of myself. cant wait for next week.:p could any one give me any tips on not bouncing when the horse first goes into trot, i was okay after a while but couldnt stop bouncing at first:eek: cheers rainbowangel.

I am pleased you loved your first lesson - horse riding is very addictive! It was great you were being lead first time - takes away that fear of the horse taking off on you!That is something that does not seem to happen at our riding school unless you are a small child on one of the ponies.

As for bouncyness well you need to read my most recent thread! I have had about 14 lessons now, started late last October and had about 5 before Xmas and then had a break for 4 weeks, now going once a week.

For me the first lesson I felt really bouncy. The it got better and better and especially so with rising trot. Now I have had a few lessons at sitting trot with not stirrups or bareback some good but the most recent one I was like a piece of popcorn bouncing all over the show! I think the more I bounce the more tense I got whcih makes it worse! It is definitely a relaxation thing - seems so hard to do when you think you are going to be bounced off! So I am told to relax and sit deep. Good luck. Keep us posted with your progress:)

well done!! :D :D glad to hear that your lesson went well. the best thing i have found is to try and relax as much as u can as the horse goes into trott. you will find then u won't bounce around. it takes a little time sometimes lol. i know from practice lol once again glad to hear u had a good lesson :D

You wont bounce if you relax, sit in the centre of the saddle and sit tall. The moment you feel the horse slowing down, squeeze with your legs. The main thing is to relax then you wont feel uncomfortable. It's when you tense up you start to bounce around and grip with your legs, then it all goes pear shaped!!!! Just let your legs hang down by the horse's side ready to apply if they are needed. Make sure you keep your heels down.​

Last edited:
newrider.com