GROOM FOR RIDDEN SHOWING COB&Coloured

abbeybaner

Jun 16, 2021
Hi! I have started local showing this year and qualified for a bigger show in September in both the cob and coloured classes … however have been informed by the organisers of the show that I need a groom (recruiting my mum!) for both classes! But I have no idea what she’s meant to wear and carry with her!
Any tips tricks and advice welcome please! Picture attached of my horse and my outfit incase that’s relevant.
thanks so much!

Attachments

• BB47D53A-7E94-4261-AB9E-37DA42639935.jpeg
    BB47D53A-7E94-4261-AB9E-37DA42639935.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 76A65DE4-061C-4975-BDFB-70B3020434D7.jpeg
    76A65DE4-061C-4975-BDFB-70B3020434D7.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 6
There are probably more knowledgeable people than me on this, but my understanding is that she should be smart and workmanlike in dress, but no formal code - could you ring or email the organiser and say this is the first time you've ever got to this level and can they advise you? I expect that she'll be asked to take off his saddle and give him a quick once over with a brush to remove any saddle or sweat marks, then saddle up again, so she needs to bring in stuff for that and be able to give you a leg up if you need one.

When I unexpectedly got roped in to be groom for my friend I just had to be clean and smart (you don’t want to distract from the horse) and she gave me a little basket with a couple of brushes to carry. I’d definitely ask the organisers, they’ll have a good idea of what their specific judges will expect.

I have seen everything from scruffy jeans to show turnout correct for doing an in hand class. Again carrying anything from one brush up to a lovely wicker basket containing everything needed to prepare for a show class, polos for horse and water for rider. So you do the ridden part. Your groom comes in and takes off saddle and places it behind the horse. Horse is then buffed and polished again, taking off any saddle marks and putting on more hoof polish, brushing out tail, etc. Horse is trotted up by the rider. Some classes will have a separate ridden and inhand judge. Back for more cleaning and tidying. Groom puts saddle back on horse. Rider stands at the horses head during this trying to keep clean! Rider is then legged up again. I have also seen grooms bringing in mounting blocks if this is more suitable. Underside of riders boots cleaned again before feet back into stirrups. More polishing and groom leaves ring ready for the places to be given.

newrider.com