Growing veggies

A bit steamy is fine but you should take the lid off at least once every day, otherwise when your little seeds germinate they may be prone to dying off.

• Love
Reactions: Jessey
Lol, I have to observe Corona like social distancing around pot plants. I've killed every single one I've ever had, even my mum's that she'd kept tenderly for many years. When a colleague asked me to water her desk plants while she was on holiday I broke out in a cold sweat!

I admire you @Jessey, now that I can't go to the yard for a fortnight at least I might have to find out what our garden actually looks like.

Yes great actually, I meant to update a while ago when I took my first crop of potatoes ? they were yummy
C0FD36F7-0BD1-4715-99AD-1A3B74D80F98.jpeg
the root veg is doing really well, the broccoli is growing but nothing resembling edibles yet, the courgette have really come on loads after 3 days of steady heavy drizzle too.I’ve only had 1 watermelon plant survive and not sure it will fruit but I’ll have to wait and see ?
I’ve decided to prepare a different location over winter for next years crop because although they say they like full sun I think the middle of the field is a bit desert like so thinking a spot that stays damper with some shade will be better and I’ll be able to plant more there ?

Reactions: Trewsers
Those spuds look great.

I hopefully will have loads this year myself unlike last years failed crop.

I should be picking my first couple of courgettes in the next week.

Curious did you do your courgettes on the muck heap in the end. Have you had to water or was there enough moisture in the heap. I did get round to putting any in the muckheap this year.

We had so many tomato plants germinate from some old seed, and we managed to buy six plants as well. Thinking the seed wont germinate. If they all fruit, i shall be eating tomatoes for weeks. We will freeze them too. We filled the greenhouse so ive resorted to growing them outdoors. But there not doing too good at present but i think they will if it comes warm again.
My runner beans are a bit hit and miss. There still climbing the canes at present.
Theres a few manage tout peas in flower.
The radish were disappointing but they were old seed. Hardly any germinated, and i put more in a couple of weeks ago hardly any of those have germinated.
Ive got some beetroot through and planted some more, and some of those have germinated to.
Ive got some onions in as well, some look great others not to good.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Yep courgette in 2 places, 1 the current years muck heap and they’re coming along but didn’t put them in until about a month ago, they’ve not been watered. the others went in last years muck I moved to fill a hole in the field and I watered them a few times. We had no rain here at all in March and April and very little in May but lots of frost still then so the first batch died, I think I’m a while off any fruit if I get any at all lol

Reactions: Huggy
Gorgeous little spuds!

We've had a rotten year so far, way too cold in March and then hot and dry in April and May when they should be putting on lots of growth. Blackfly got most of my broad beans, peas were lovely but not many, tomatoes only just getting going, squash stunted for lack of water, and 90% of my potatoes have turned up their toes again through lack of water. The currants (red and black) were stupendous though, the blackbirds particularly enjoyed them!

My blackcurrents are ready now. Ive picked some but loads more on the bushes. The birds are helping themselves. Theyve taken weeks to actually ripen. I watered them everyday for a couple of weeks about a month ago as they looked poor and last year they didnt fill out and get juicy. But that watering i did this time has really paid off i think.

Some snaps of the veggies, not sure if onions normally grow out of the ground, I didn’t think so so mounded up more dirt around them
AC5159F0-012E-493C-B372-2237D498964E.jpeg833D8397-799D-4FE9-B09A-DF8BC952A562.jpeg
Courgettes look like they may fruit eventually
13253329-B6E3-453A-A64F-07818AABCCEB.jpeg
1EC1CFFD-15AC-4F99-98D9-725C11D29198.jpeg
The leeks are being a bit swamped by them now, need to plant further apart in future!
81BD94D7-4E72-4241-8CD4-98BA0AD76727.jpeg
im really pleased for my first effort (from a person who can kill potted ivy ?)

Fantastic!

Your onions are fine but will appreciate the cosseting.

Watch out for those courgettes, they will be marrows before you can say knife!

The onions will be on the surface more as they get bigger so dont earth them.

Anytime on the courgettes. It took ages on my first ones but now there coming on quickly. How many plants is that. If its more than one they might be a bit close together.

The onions will be on the surface more as they get bigger so dont earth them.

Anytime on the courgettes. It took ages on my first ones but now there coming on quickly. How many plants is that. If its more than one they might be a bit close together.
The onions are still pretty small (golf ball size) but they were too close together.

Yeah there’s about 8, the first lot of seeds I put in didn’t take so I just whacked a bunch in ? there’s also a watermelon plant in the middle of that which probably isn’t too happy, I’d kind of given up on them so overplanted the courgette but one has since grown on a bit. Def need more space next year!

newrider.com