Growing veggies

I always do the courgettes individually as they really bush out as they get fruiting.

Ive just relooked at your onions picture. Your right a bit close, i missed that. The second picture where youve got two together will be ok. Many be do individually in a row next time. Some of my onions havent come to much. Others are looking good.

Sorry sounds like im criticising, not ment to be. Just trying to help.

Im still jealous of your spuds. I had a little scrap around on mine the other day. They still look quite small in comparison to yours and not many considering the size of the humes.

Reactions: Jessey
I always do the courgettes individually as they really bush out as they get fruiting.

Ive just relooked at your onions picture. Your right a bit close, i missed that. The second picture where youve got two together will be ok. Many be do individually in a row next time. Some of my onions havent come to much. Others are looking good.

Sorry sounds like im criticising, not ment to be. Just trying to help.

Im still jealous of your spuds. I had a little scrap around on mine the other day. They still look quite small in comparison to yours and not many considering the size of the humes.
Any advise welcome as I'm just making it up as I go along ? TBH when I put the seeds in the propagator I just chucked a few in each hole not expecting much, then there were 10 onions in each one, I thinned some more than others to see what held up.

I def think I might get one of those little green houses for next spring, I really battled with the frosts though April/May this year and I don't have enough window sill space to do much more in the house.

Those were 'sprint' variety early croppers, I've got Maris pipers in for the main crop but they have gone a bit yellow on top the last few days, I earthed them up again yesterday, will just have to wait and see I guess :)

Our spuds are looking to be coming along nicely. They are winter ones though. Things grow at different rates here due to the temperatures. I sowed carrots yesterday two varieties. One is a red colour and weird looking. Bet Storm will still gobble those up.

Carrots are hit and miss for us.

Im currently cursing black fly. Never had it so bad on my runner beans. Ive been spraying them daily with washing up liquid but its just not killing them off. I even dusted in some black fly powder but i didnt get enough on the under leaves.

• Sad
Reactions: Trewsers
Carrots are hit and miss for us.

Im currently cursing black fly. Never had it so bad on my runner beans. Ive been spraying them daily with washing up liquid but its just not killing them off. I even dusted in some black fly powder but i didnt get enough on the under leaves.

That is a nuisance.
Where we used to live I couldn't grow carrots. They failed miserably. But here they seem (touch wood) to do great.

I've just had some of OH's new potatoes for my tea. It's the first year he's tried growing them and they're gorgeous. I'm not much of a potato fan but I can't get enough of these. He did strawberries and raspberries which were OK and got tomatoes coming along but they're really slow and don't look great. I have a couple of blackcurrants and a redcurrant bush but as per usual I didn't get to taste even one berry, the birds stripped them all.

My blackberry bushes are only just starting to fruit, but looks like I’ll have a pretty good haul of those this year ? nom nom

My blackcurrents have been loaded. Theres still loads left for the birds.

My courgettes have been going mad this week. Ive also picked several helpings of mange tout.

Ive got a good 40 potato plants, well in flower. Hoping they do well and make up for last years complete disaster.

My blackberry bushes are only just starting to fruit, but looks like I’ll have a pretty good haul of those this year ? nom nom

Are these wild or cultivated blackberries Jessey? Some of the wild ones round here have already got the odd ripe berry (and they're really yum this year) but the tame one in our garden has only just finished flowering. I always wonder how come blackberry and apple pie is a 'thing' when blackberries seem to ripen well before the apples. Maybe I should have posted that question on @newforest's thread!

Are these wild or cultivated blackberries Jessey? Some of the wild ones round here have already got the odd ripe berry (and they're really yum this year) but the tame one in our garden has only just finished flowering. I always wonder how come blackberry and apple pie is a 'thing' when blackberries seem to ripen well before the apples. Maybe I should have posted that question on @newforest's thread!
Isn't it because it's made with the apple windfalls and not the ones left to ripen fully on the tree?

Reactions: Bodshi
Wild, though they may have been cultivated at some point. They’ve just got a few ripe ones so far.

@chunky monkey I think my early potato success has run out, my batch that looked great are swiftly dying, but I’ve got another batch I planted later that I’m hopeful for but not sure how they’ll look once dug as they’re in this springs muck heap!

Dying or are they earlies and the tops are just dying back as normal. Id probably have a little rake and see whats under there.

Dying or are they earlies and the tops are just dying back as normal. Id probably have a little rake and see whats under there.
They’re main crop, Maris pipers, they went yellow and a couple have withered completely. I did rake around 1 and the only tater I found was smaller than my new potato’s so think they would need longer but suspect they’re not going to make it. They never flowered at all, but then none have.

Well my friend said the wilting might just mean the tater we’re ready to pick so I dug them anyway, and a few other bits that looked good to go and an onion I pulled by accident
51CC1661-0D35-4439-8070-707F11D588E9.jpeg
I’m not too ashamed of that For my first year and there’s more to come ?
Courgettes are coming on well too
1E42870E-7130-44D3-99C5-1CD37A68492E.jpeg
but a fail on the broccoli, I don’t know what I’m looking at and kept wondering where the broccoli heads would shoot from, it was only when I looked closer I realised it was fat hen I’d been nurturing ??
2A6DDD04-D63B-4C00-B93D-A0911E4C46F9.jpeg
the grass was a strategic decision to keep the bloody snails out and it worked pretty well, there’s spring onions, red onions and some actual broccoli in amongst there

Reactions: Trewsers
My broccoli failed last year :( we could have made a meal for the resident kitchen spider from it I suppose! I think I either planted too close and didn't thin out properly or it was the slugs. I think the latter but I don't use pellets.

Never tried growing broccoli myself.

Saw a post the other day about using wood ash, apparently slugs dont like it. Didnt know that. Funny enough weve been using it for a number of years on the garden as it provides fertilizer. Rotavating it into the veg plot as preparation. Ironically this year i noticed i havent had slugs on the garden.

Mind I'll reserve judgement till i dig the spuds. Will be interesting to see how many are slugged.

Been so busy i havent been on the veg plot so whipped up there this morning to find loads of courgettes. Ironically they dont normally get eaten by anything but it would seem the rabbits have taken as shine to them. At least on 3 all i had was half a courgette. They also munch off the male flower heads and stalks on the plant. Aargh

newrider.com