Gypsy cob feathers

GypsyCobs_13

Apr 12, 2024
I own a 10 year old gypsy cob he has very good genetics for mane, feathers etc, but I'm trying to get them long thick and healthy. i also want them to be straight as they curl and idk why is there any thing i can do for it ? Also are there any tips for mud as he had a lot burnt off the front about 1.5 inches

the photo is from august before he had the front burn off

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.jpg

Last edited:
Pig oil and sulphur is excellent for maintaining feather, especially over the winter months. It'll really help prevent bog burn.

Reactions: GypsyCobs_13
You might also want to make sure he gets all his vitamins and minerals, and plenty of good oils and vitamin E. Micronised linseed is good for that, you can just add a handful to his feed.

I have never succeeded in getting my boy's mane to grow, he rubs it out every year. But in 3 years his feathers have gone from harsh, bushy and kinky, like heather, to straight and silky. I don't do anything to them really other than treat his mallenders.

Reactions: GypsyCobs_13
Another vote for pig oil and sulphur.

Avoid fields of mud by managing your pasture well.

I have two cobs who have totally different feather. Some feather will just naturally ringlet whilst others will grow straight. Alot will depend on the genetic make up of the horse.

A good varied diet on grass with a top up of vitamins and minerals.

Reactions: domane
You might also want to make sure he gets all his vitamins and minerals, and plenty of good oils and vitamin E. Micronised linseed is good for that, you can just add a handful to his feed.

I have never succeeded in getting my boy's mane to grow, he rubs it out every year. But in 3 years his feathers have gone from harsh, bushy and kinky, like heather, to straight and silky. I don't do anything to them really other than treat his mallenders.
thank you for the advice, he get lots of vitamins and minerals in his feeds I use natural supplements and I'm sure that's not the problem as his mane and tail grow very fast. thank you

Keep them away from boggy, poached fields as if it burns off its too wet, too muddy or icy.
I havent ever used anything on mine, besides keeping an eye on them for tangles.

The white will always grow better than the black anyway.

Mine has wavy back feathers, she always looks like she's comes from the salon and had a 80's perm šŸ˜‚

DSC_0334.JPG

newrider.com