Hacked alone...

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Very pleased today, as I hacked for 45 mins on my own (big thing for daft old me ;)).

I've owned Ed for just over a year (share him with my daughter). However, I had three months of private lessons before getting him, but apart from that had only ridden a few times for 30 years. I really am a mature beginner :eek:

Over the 13 months of owning him my riding skills have improved considerably, but the starting points really was quite low :D

One thing that continues to make me feel a little anxious is hacking alone..... before Christmas I started hacking him 3/4 mile to my lesson and then back. Until in Dec, he had a huge spook as a Heron took off right next to us :eek: he took flight in canter, jumped a water ditch, but did stop after about 100m (not really his fault but unnerved me). Then we started to get better again and about 2 months ago, he took flight at the site of an enourmouse ag vehicle. But again, I stopped him after 40/50 m and dismounted, lead him past got back on. These things are unfortunately set-backs for me....

Today I hacked half a mile with a friend and then left her and ambled off for 45 mins on our own. He played up a bit as decided he didn't want to go anywhere without his hacking bud, but after a couple of minor battles, requiring leg, voice ;) and whip we had a lovely hack.

Still don't think lots of lone hacking is my idea of fun, but that's quite a milestone :) Bit of a gloat :eek::eek: but feeling 'chuffed'

You're entitled to gloat! Well done. Should I ever achieve such a milestone, I will be gloating too ;)

Thanks both. Nothing that significant for most riders, but feels like an achievement for me and the boy was pretty relaxed after his first 5 mins of numptyness :D

Well done you! I can understand how big a deal this is. I'd feel the same.

Do you ever go alone (horse wise) but with someone on foot? I was thinking that would be how i'd go about building up to a hack out on my own with my new share.

MinkersM, I have done that before and also my OH has joined me on his bike - difficult speed on a bike, as you have to go quite slowly. But, I think foot soldier or biking chum is a great idea to start with :)

I think I would actually be blubbing! Congrats!!!! :)

Solo hacking has worst nightmare written for us all over it!! So vvv impressed! (...and possibley quite jealous :eek:)

Well done!

I would not be underestimating such an achievement so gloat away :D

Thank you all -probably won't pluck up the courage to do it again for yonks though :rolleyes::D

Well done! Don't underestimate what an achievement it is. I have the opposite 'hang-up'. I'm fine hacking alone but worry about hacking in company!!! :confused:

Yay go you!!

Very glad to hear you had an un-eventful hack,long may it continue!!

I am guessing then that Ed is off the naughty step after his fly bucking performance?? Is your daughter feeling better about riding him now and all healed up??

Glad all is well for you anyway,and welcome back BTW:)

Yay go you!!

Very glad to hear you had an un-eventful hack,long may it continue!!

I am guessing then that Ed is off the naughty step after his fly bucking performance?? Is your daughter feeling better about riding him now and all healed up??

Glad all is well for you anyway,and welcome back BTW:)

Hi Devonlass,

My daughter had her first ride/lesson today since the 'bucks'. She was a little more reserved than usual, but she did just fine and fortunately he was impeccable. We're taking him to a little show tomorrow, don't think she's quite her usual confident self, but she can just jump whichever class she fancies. She's then having another lesson on Wed, so hoping with all of that she'll be back to her usual self. Think these youngster get over it more quickly than we do.....

I'm probably more nervous about the whole ordeal than she is ;):rolleyes:

Good to see you're still on here...
:)

Well done!

THAT is a BIG achievement!

I still don't like hacking Harvey alone, actually lets resay that ....I don't like hacking Harvey:eek:

Hacking alone for 45mins is a big achievement :)

newrider.com