Hacking alone and feeling safe!

bicky

Aug 11, 2007
Cumbria
I dont mean feeling safe on your horse, I mean do you feel safe going out alone into sometimes rural areas.

I have always felt safe until this morning when I hacked out with Kinzzy (who was fab!) and met a stranger in a Land Rover I'd never seen before. He just sat there but looked really strange. It quite unnerved me so I memorised the number plate and some other things. I also had my mobile with me as I was hacking alone.

My dilema was, should I of turned when I felt a bit scared or carried on futher into more rural roads (which is where I usually go) I chose to carry on but knew at some point I would have to return and he may still be there.

He actually drove past me again on my way home so I acknowledged him for slowing down and he just looked out of the corner of his eye at me. No smile, nod, wave or anything.

Spooky, I trotted nearly all the way home after that. So although nothing really happened it has got me wondering now! How does everyone else feel about stuff like this?

I personally dont like my 14year old daughter hacking out on her own for the exact same reason. There are some very creepy people out there sometimes. I hate walking my dog on my own sometimes as I take her down an old railway line which is now a cycle path and I feel a bit intimidated sometimes esp when there is men down there.

Its a sad fact but you do get the creepy feelings now and again whilst hacking out - I can't hack out alone (Storm is far too needy of Joe at the mo) so not really applicable to me. But, I would say try not to let it put you off, so long as you have your mobile - seems a shame to let it bother you. Always tell somebody where you're off too and when you expect to be back. Do any of your fellow liveries hack on that same route? Have they noticed anybody hanging around? We used to do a hack and there was once a person hanging around lookin shifty under a tree - it did unnerve us both. However, I didn't feel too bad as OH was with me and he gave one of his "stern" looks............

Iv been followed in a car before and it kept apprearing on the roads where i had to ride down to get to the other bridle ways. It was a bright blue clio that was an 02 plate!! i still remember. I just rang someone and chatted on the phone when i saw it and just kept talkin to my pony!! She makes me feel safe, she is quite a good weapon with grumpy ears and nasty back legs when she doesnt like someone!

newrider.com