hacking alone, well moving would be something! Please help

Jade M L

Oct 5, 2008
Hi

I thought having had some excellent rides with my little cob Izzy the time had come to be brave and go it alone.. we left the yard and went a short distance up the road, only for Iz to turn round and go back to the yard, we left the yard went a short distance and she turned again. I have tried using the crop and bringing her back the other way to no avail we have played this games six times everyday this week. last friday the RI walked out with us and confirmed that it was my fault and i needed to be tougher and use far more leg with her (though this is difficult since due to a disability i have very weak legs) when we got her to trott with great effort up the road further away she was fab. I havent managed to get her going forward on my own though despite using the whip, which i have to say i dont like doing. Apparently other people love riding her, which only made me feel even more incompetant, I know it is my fault and not really Izzy's but I really am trying but she defeats me everytime. Im pleased she is happy on livery but it is getting ridiculous!

Does anyone have any advice, or even does this happen to anyone else:?

Personally if you can't get her moving frward then I would consider leading her out past the spot she does it and then hop on.

could you try leading her for a while? She might feel more confidant with you by her side - at least then she wont be relying on another horse for confidance.

The more confidant she becomes, the further back you can slip, so she is walking slightly ahead of you - increase this more and more - long rein her if you really have to!

Then, you could try doing it half leading, and then half riding....gradually decrease the distance from the yard to where you get on her until you can get on her at the yard, and walk out without her napping or calling for another horse!

In the mean time, you could try keeping riding out in company to a minimum until she has enough confidance to go it alone too!

:D

newrider.com