Hacking thread update

@Feawen maybe don't mention if he's a first horse?

Thank you Carthorse, he isn’t strictly my first horse, as I had a pony as a child and a horse through my teen years. My mum kept D when I went away to university and of course I’ve always stayed involved. Since D semi-retired I have shared and exercised various others.

I’m not overly worried, I am happy to smile but stand my ground with anyone who gets overly interfering :D. But I am also standing in solidarity with Skib because I have had similar experiences, with the odd person assuming that because I’m a sharer I can’t tell a saddle from a stud girth...

Reactions: carthorse
I've known people who've owned for years but lack very basic knowledge, one lady came to me asking how to put a simple snaffle bridle on - apparently the grooms had always done that!

Carthorse is right about the bridle problem. At many yards Grooms and staff do everything.
I hacked from an average BHS type RS and clients never tacked up the horses. Same at my RIs yard, people were waited on hand and foot. When I came to share it was a mare who bit people so I was not allowed to bridle her. Eventually I did bridle her and clearly I did it for long enough before she died to remember.

At my current yard the horse helps with the bridle by reaching and taking the bit.(as my old share did) Horses recognise when a rider needs help.
But the saddle is a real worry to me. I keep asking if it is right?
So here I am, I have ridden for 18 years. Horses do as I say from the saddle and on the ground and tend to like me. But I cant put on a saddle.

Last edited:
newrider.com