Happy experiences

criollo1

Feb 14, 2010
OK after a tough winter with our horses lets hear about lots of positive and happy experiences you have had with your horses. NO mention of bucking, rearing, spooking, napping etc just stories of well behaved, happy, positive things you have all been doing with your horses.:smile:

After months of not riding for one reason and another we went on a little hack around our cross country course last week. She was full of enery and taking in the sights and my face hurt from smiling so much:biggrin:

Ah I could give you a whole page worth but will start with just a few;
  1. despite worrying about it, had a lovely ride out in company
  2. been remembering to think about my seat and consequently are feeling much more stable and steady
  3. had some lovely relaxed canters in an area where she has previously refused to canter at all!
  4. after fighting them off when they crowd me for food, i now feel the pecking order has been firmly establish and Im at the top!
  5. field is muddy but not too bad :) we are managing it
  6. Rosie is looking fit and just a little 'cuddly' so should come out of winter at perfect weight
  7. we have loads of great stuff planned for the next few months
  8. been out hacking on our own to our favourite rides and done a couple of 6/7 milers in the last 10 days
  9. been charged at by numerous dogs, encountered trail bikes, cows, rubbish dumped in unexpected places - the reaction? Nowt more than a bit of staring :biggrin: What a good girl :angel:
  10. saddle issues and sweat free patches now dissapeared with our new saddle
  11. currently having a break from shoes for a few weeks and feet looking great, going to get fronts next time and all 4 the time after that
  12. doing our first pleasure/endurance training ride in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed it doesnt get cancelled)
  13. really excited about the year ahead - its gonna be a good 'en. We've worked really hard to develop a great, trusting relationship and this is our year to get loads of experience doing different things and build both our confidence

Will that do ya for starters? :wink:

Took my pony to a TREC training intending to walk the course as I am still very nervous of riding. After an hour or so in scool going through the obstacles I decided to get on:

She almost did rein back,
went through raised s bend, one of few who did without knocking it down, managed to knock down low branches over her bum and she just went 'oo 'troted few steps and then went through every thing else as asked, as if they weren't there.

So all my work from the ground payed off, and I felt really confident as her 'spook' was so minor I know I can cope with that. :dance::dance:

My favourite moment from this winter is doing some groundwork with Ziggy in the field, leading him around cones in serpentines and circles - and Mattie following behind, every single step, bobbing meekly along in Ziggy's wake.

2 for the price of 1!

Well, I could do with the power of positive thoughts right now! Things ain't goin well (the horses are though!). I guess one positive thing about Storm right now is the lovely way each evening she shuffles over to groom me in her box. I go to pick out the last of the poop about 9pm just before bedtime and she always comes over to groom me. I find it very soothing! Not done much "proper" riding, but the bit that we have done is going well. Something has to be!!!!

oo oo!! I have one!! :wavespin:

Rode my horse out yesterday and had a fab ride through the fields, lots of trotting and cantering and a happy horsey enjoying himself having a change of scenery from his field after not being able to get out much due to the weather.

Really looking forward to this year as I now have a trailer that we can get out and about in, hoping to do lots of fun rides, training days and TREC!

:showoff:

oooo i have some positives:

still managing to ride frequently this winter.
the last ride before the two week snow break was a solo hack, the first ride back after the 2 week snow break was also a solo hack! soooo our solo hacking confidence has improved greatly!
After a good few months break from riding in the school i rode Moet in there this week and did some full loops in canter :dance:
rosie is doing well this winter with no rug on!
My hubby started riding again this winter!

What a timely thread! Here are mine:

- Kal is coming out of winter with a belly . . . no mean feat for a horse who is prone to dropping weight so quickly and in such a harsh winter . . . will be changing his feeding regime slowly now so he goes into Spring "well" but not too well
- Kal is soooo much more supple and soft under saddle . . . much more in balance with himself (and me)
- Kal's manners have improved 100% . . . he no longer swings his bum around arbitrarily when tied and will stand nicely in his stable (without being tied up) for me to pick his feet out, rug him up, etc.
- Kal is veeeery chilled and happy at our current yard . . . he's in a lovely herd of geldings (there are 8 of them) with a kind but firm herd boss (the lovely Briggs) . . . he has lots of friends to play with, groom, chill out with and just generally be a horse
- Kal's chiro is very pleased with him . . . his pelvis is now aligned, although his left stifle now needs strengthening
- Kal's farrier is very pleased with his feet . . . after how disastrous they were this summer he is now able to hold onto shoes for 6 whole weeks (we were replacing lost shoes at 4 weeks in September)

All good things!

N

Went on a hack with Daisy Haffie yesterday, she usually does not like water or a lot of mud and we have had a couple of planting issues recentley but yesterday she practically swam for about a mile. She was an angel :angel: she just kept plodding on with a little encouragement for me to keep my leg on from my companion, she is a little star and i love her to bits.
Oooh and we are going to have a go at Trec in March :dance:

These are all lovely to read and I am very happy for all of you. It's refreshing to hear of all the success stories and reminds us all how far we have come. Keep em coming.

After Feb I have a horrid year coming up BUT Chanter and I did travers (SP) in the school yesterday this has come from a kot of schooling over the winter and to top the tarvers off he canter is now soft, forward and swinging.

Also hoping to get to some comp before I deploy again.

I have been at home in Australia for a month and was missing Izzy badly - like REALLY badly. Plus with the floods we couldn't do anything we had planned.

I got back on Sat night and Sunday was such a fabulous day. It was lovely weather on the downs and I spent the whole day at the yard. Izzy has been ridden by my sharer while I was away but hadn't been ridden in a week. We hacked out and he was so well behaved and brave. Then I turned him out and he was totally different from usual. Normally he isn't really cuddly and is very eager to get out to his friends, cantering off. Yesterday he stayed at the gate with me for a good 5 minutes nuzzling me. Then I went out the gate and he slowly walked down the field, and about 20 yards down he stopped and looked back at me. So I think he did miss me!

Tonight we did groundwork and he was very brave with all the tinsel I threw over him and jumped all the jumps with scary things on.

Am looking forward to lots of outings this year with jumping, Trec, Xcountry, clinics and hopefully fun rides (if I am brave enough!)

And today I got my new bridle from KV! Yay. - it's lovely.

Loving my horsey life!

newrider.com