Hard lump on knee

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
I'm pretty sure I know how he's got this because he knees the gate to get attention, through impatience waiting for his feed, to try and get the gate open etc. Yes, tried to pad it with carpet - which he prompty shredded and started to eat. Needless to say had to stop doing that. Believe it or not he isn't what you would call a handful, BUT he is very intelligent and forever looking for trouble. Never stabled (because of this very thing!)

Question is, what long term effects should I be aware of? It's not hot, there's no swelling as such, but a hard bony "calcification" type lump. He's only 7 and a half, so a lot of years left yet.

Really, this is the sort of thing I would get a GOOD horse vet to check out. Anything that could interfere with joints, especially forelimb joints, could end up causing long term problems.

But most likely, if there is no heat or pain, I think there is a good chance it will be totally fine. But I would get it checked just in case. Chance of a bone chip?

If you can get him to stop kicking the gate, the lump will probably reabsorb given time. If he carries on kicking the gate, it could get bigger and interfere with the joint. Can you rig up a rail at around chest height inside the gate, so he can't reach the gate with his knees? Or put a strand of electric fence on the gate, leaning inwards towards him, again to stop him getting his knees too close to the gate.

That's a good idea - putting something before the gate to stop him actually getting to it. Yes - thanks for that.

newrider.com