Hard standing

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
As you know Tango is now barefoot. All was going really well until the local landowners put down stones on 95% of our hacking :banghead: stones were the only thing he was not comfortable on. Grass, mud and roads were all fine. Stones hurt. :frown:

So we have got boots (which I'm not confident in yet but that's another story)! And I'm having hard standing put down outside my stables to make a mud free (hopefully) area where he can stand at night without having to be stabled. Will leave his stable door open but he can move around (he has arthritis so stabling him wouldn't be advisable). I was going to do that anyway but the theory is that that may help to stimulate his frogs and condition his feet a bit to the stones. He has rubber matting in his stable so he can stand in there if he chooses.

So we had a digger come and dig an area out and we filled it with hardcore. It was supposed to be crushed concrete but there was a mix up :rolleyes: and once someone has emptied 20 tonnes of it on to your field it's a bit difficult to pick it all back up! Anyway, we have used a whacker plate and levelled it out. And we had a small amount of fine crushed concrete to put over the top. But there isnt enough.

We have a large amount of sand at ours left over from something else. Does anyone know if I could use that to fill the holes? Would that work? There is a membrane underneath the hardcore if that makes any difference?

I have boots with the pads. That has stimulated the frog and she now has good feet.

Certain large loose stones are a problem but she walks down the rocky path without noticing we have rocks.

What type of stones are they? The little black road surface type mine is ok with. I was pleased that my yard put that down.

I am no expert, but I would have thought the sand would have helped. Make it a bit more free draining anyway?

It wouldn't do any harm, but you'd be better off with pea gravel if you can get hold of some. It also depends what type of sand it is too, building sand has a higher silt content and may get boggy in the wet compared to grit sand.

Thank you!!

I have put down a trailer full of pea gravel that we happened to have around too but thats probably only 3 square metres. I'm working on some pictures!!

newrider.com