Harrowing Poo into fields

harrowing breaks up poo and lets sun kill worm eggs. I know your supposed to rest fields after spreading Manure because of problems with worm burdens but harrowing shouldn't need a 3 month rest. Fields would only be harrowed if the field was already finished with for a while so wouldn't be grazed till grass is back up any way.

ETA I'm curious too now. We don't harrow fields we roll them so not sure.

Harrowing to remove the dead grass followed by rolling is spring/summer job in most fields.

Harrowing to spread droppings so they are heated by the sun to kill the worm eggs is a method of worm control not much use in the average british weather but ok in summers like now. resting the field is irrelevent provided the weather is hot and dry but far better to collect droppings either manually or with a machine.

Im not really a fan of spreading the poo around the fields as horses do their best to avoid eating near their poo so if you spread it around you're infecting the whole pasture IMO.

Since I got a stable, Lady has been going out in the day with another horse in a different field. The field is managed by the yard who dont poopick, but harrow the fields occasionally, which concerns me as i dont want my horse getting more worms because of their management. If I could, I would have cleared the field, but there is so much poo in it it would take me forever!

I've seen people literally harrow with the horses still in the field, and leave in there afterwards with poopio spread all over the grass, but according to most books that I've read, you give a harrowed paddock six weeks to recover before re-stocking it. I've never done it, I'm a wheelbarrow and shovel girl!:D :)

newrider.com