Harvey's starting to look old

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
Harvey has enjoyed having his rug off in all the sunshine we've been having lately. But it has shown that he has not come through this winter as well as he did last year. (In winter we tend to take his rug off and give him a brush as quickly as possible, in the artificial light in the barn) The loss of muscle tone is to be expected with him not having worked for 2 years, but bones are becoming prominent and his coat is dull, scurfy and scabby. The muddy conditions have played havoc with his hooves. He's 22 this year, but it's the first time I've thought of him as an "older" horse.

I've given him a long, gentle, therapeutic groom today, which he loved. I just hope he picks up a bit through the summer, and perhaps I can lunge him a bit to get a bit of muscle back. We wouldn't get a saddle to fit him the way he is now!

Aw, I am sure he will pick up when summer comes. Bet he enjoyed his grooming - how nice. Does he get any extra feed supplements? I used to try Joe on Bailey's Lo Cal - that was quite good (but a bit expensive).

We have an old guy on our yard near 30 and a big guy he has found it harder this year.I feel its been a hard winter for horses and their owners.the vet suggested alph beet be added to his feed and a senior hi fi he has picked up and once the grass starts showing its head I'm sure they will all pick up.
Bet he enjoyed his pamper day I'm sure they must feel nice after a good pamper the same as we do.

newrider.com