Harvey's Vet Visit

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Not sure this will be of interest to anyone, but....

This is all my understanding from the vet so bear with me if I get it wrong

Two weeks ago I quite by accident found a large hard lump halfway down Harvey's neck (a bit bigger than a golf ball). Its not visible and in fact even knowing its there its not easy to find. The vet came out next day but couldn't really say much without further investigation. She did though also find that he had an "odd" heartbeat. I was concerned that it was associated with the respiratory issues he had last year and thought it might be in, or impinging on his windpipe.

I was going to find the money for the investigation whatever, but to prepare me I asked for an estimate and was surprised to receive a detailed breakdown of the likely costs (it might be common but it was new to me)

So on Friday we travelled the hour to the veterinary hospital. We were early but Harvey was weighed (630kg) and put in the stable to settle. To my surprise he was quite anxious and didn't want me to leave him even by a few feet (and he really isn't a cuddly horse). Good job it was nice weather as I had to stand by his head the whole time.

The head vet first checked out the lump and listened to his heart. He then had light IV sedation and then went into the treatment room where his throat/windpipe was checked out with an endoscope, down as far as where it divides to go to the lungs. It was all normal. We did find that he had previously had a hobday which will be why he can't neigh!

At the same time he had a tracheal wash. This is where fluid is injected (via the endoscope) into the windpipe and then sucked out again so it can be checked for infection. (Harvey is and always has been snotty so this is to investigate that).

so the results:
The lump is likely die to previous trauma and is probably cartilage - its not a concern
Harvey's heart has a 4 beat rhythm rather than the common 2 beat. This apparently is fairly commo in big horses especially when they are reasonably fit so again not a concern
The tracheal wash has gone to the lab so I'm waiting for the results

About to start
i-KRJhXwG-XL.jpg

Reactions: MrA
Good news about the lump and I bet it was a revelation to find out Harvey has had a hobday.

I know someone who was selling a big horse and when it was vetted it failed because of its heartbeat. It passed the next vetting (different vet) because the beat was normal for a big horse. Frustrating though, and a shame for the original prospective purchasers who missed out on a good horse and wasted their money on the vetting.

Reactions: GaryB
Fingers crossed the wash comes back clear, and thank goodness everything else has turned out to be nothing to worry about.

Glad that the lump has turned out to be nothing and how interesting that he's had the previous procedure. Looking at all the things you do its clearly been a hufe success for Harvey!

Are you hoping the wash is clear and there's nothing or are you hoping it comes back with something that will reapond to some drugs?

Either way sounds like an expensive, but otherwise very positive trip and you can just crack on with your adventures!

Robin had 2 trac washes. It was quite interesting as first time I got to "help" by holding the scope! You could see the mucus getting worse as we went further down. Second time he was at the vets and it was COVID so I couldn't.

Not sure this will be of interest to anyone, but....

This is all my understanding from the vet so bear with me if I get it wrong

Two weeks ago I quite by accident found a large hard lump halfway down Harvey's neck (a bit bigger than a golf ball). Its not visible and in fact even knowing its there its not easy to find. The vet came out next day but couldn't really say much without further investigation. She did though also find that he had an "odd" heartbeat. I was concerned that it was associated with the respiratory issues he had last year and thought it might be in, or impinging on his windpipe.

I was going to find the money for the investigation whatever, but to prepare me I asked for an estimate and was surprised to receive a detailed breakdown of the likely costs (it might be common but it was new to me)

So on Friday we travelled the hour to the veterinary hospital. We were early but Harvey was weighed (630kg) and put in the stable to settle. To my surprise he was quite anxious and didn't want me to leave him even by a few feet (and he really isn't a cuddly horse). Good job it was nice weather as I had to stand by his head the whole time.

The head vet first checked out the lump and listened to his heart. He then had light IV sedation and then went into the treatment room where his throat/windpipe was checked out with an endoscope, down as far as where it divides to go to the lungs. It was all normal. We did find that he had previously had a hobday which will be why he can't neigh!

At the same time he had a tracheal wash. This is where fluid is injected (via the endoscope) into the windpipe and then sucked out again so it can be checked for infection. (Harvey is and always has been snotty so this is to investigate that).

so the results:
The lump is likely die to previous trauma and is probably cartilage - its not a concern
Harvey's heart has a 4 beat rhythm rather than the common 2 beat. This apparently is fairly commo in big horses especially when they are reasonably fit so again not a concern
The tracheal wash has gone to the lab so I'm waiting for the results

About to start
i-KRJhXwG-XL.jpg
That was really interesting thank you.
I wonder why he's had the hobday done?

I hope the wash shows no significant infection, but if it shows something that can be dealt with, it would be peace of mind for you.

Are you hoping the wash is clear and there's nothing or are you hoping it comes back with something that will reapond to some drugs?

Either way sounds like an expensive, but otherwise very positive trip
Thanks every one!

He's always been snotty, but in some ways I hope they find something that can be treated

I haven't had the bill yet, but the estimate was just short of £400 which I thought wasn't too bad

I wonder why he's had the hobday done?
The vet thought possibly he'd had some breathing issues, possibly "whistling". Apparent its very common in racehorses to make them perform better

Thanks every one!

He's always been snotty, but in some ways I hope they find something that can be treated

I haven't had the bill yet, but the estimate was just short of £400 which I thought wasn't too bad

The vet thought possibly he'd had some breathing issues, possibly "whistling". Apparent its very common in racehorses to make them perform better
I didn't know that would stop them from neighing.

I didn't know that would stop them from neighing.
It involves taking out the left side vocal cords (IIRC!). Harvey can make a little bit of a neigh, but its so quiet you wouldn't hear it from the next stable

Last edited:
newrider.com