Have you ever met a horse that you don't think you could ever get on with?

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I've had the good fortune in the past year to ride more horses than I have in the previous 3!

I can safely say that I've loved riding them all and could even picture me being very content to own them all. :D

This made me think, have you ever met a horse that you simply struggled to see the good in or had more negative throughts about than positive ones?

I have to an extent, I used to share my friends horse and he was lovely and very sweet and genuine, I never had a problem riding him but I wouldn't want to own him, he just didn't feel right.

Same thing with Whisper really he's lovely and I enjoy spending time with him but riding wise we don't really gel so I wouldn't want to own him either. I'm just enjoying being around horses.

yes there was a horse at my last yard and i couldnt stand him! Sounds awful i know but he bit people and horses. He just wasnt nice to be around i cant put my finger on it i just didnt think he was a good boy at all lol x

I remember riding a mare at a riding school and we just did NOT get on ... she wasn't naughty or anything like that, just very sharp and fast and I didn't feel comfortable on her ... other people thought I was mad :p

Ive only met one horse i dont like and she's at the yard im at now..she is a right cow bag!

She just doesnt respect people at all! When you open her stable door to give her more hay she barges you to get out and will literally run you over.....she refuses to go in her stable most days and will again barge you out the way....she will kick if you try and give her a telling off or do somthing she doesnt like...I tried lunging her once and she span tried to kick me and then did a runner...

I would hate to own her quite honestly :p

Yes, was a prospective purchase, beautiful ride - smooth light paces, supple and obedient - BUT. The look on his face, in his eye and hints in his body language. Spent about an hour with him in total, didnt put a hoof wrong on the ground but there was definitely something about him that was nasty.

Yes I have - sometime last July - had bought him and 2 weeks in decided we would never gel in a million years:eek:

How wrong can you be: still in my field happily living his life with the silly old biddy who was positive she had made a HUGE mistake!:D

yep Seb the tb that I bought. I thought he was beautiful and talented and at first thought it was because we didn't know each other but as time went on I just couldn't stick him. We just could not get along. I cared for him and he was never neglected etc but i spent my whole time telling him off and ended up really disliking him. It wasn't his fault we just didn't gel at all. He hated me and I had a strong dislike towards him. I think he is the only one though

There have been a few! Not to buy, just to ride or on the yard. One just had no character-boring and one was just downright unpleasant in the field and on the ground-don't see the point of having a horse like that.

Saying that, I thought Beau had no character for about 2 months-seemed very boring! Now I know him inside out, I see how funny he is and how cute but I honestly worried that I had the most boring horse ever for the first couple of months:eek:. Turns out he's just a good boy and lovely to handle as long as I'm firm. (And very forward and on his toes all the time!)

I don't get on with my cob, i have no idea why he doesn't trust me but hoping that will change soon with the help of a NH person, if not then i may consider selling (although this would break my heart) because i will have tried everything then but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

He is the only horse i have had problems with in my years of horse ownership. I just can't work him out :(

I can think of 2 that I know I could never like, both were horses at the yard I worked at.

One was a section D (unusual because I usually adore welshies) and he was just really irritating to work with (door banger, difficult to bridle but none of the 'personality' which normally redeems annoying horses) and a spooky, backward-thinking PITA to ride.

The other was a TBxDales, body built like a tank and had been spoilt since birth so was strong and knew it, zero manners. Under saddle he would go from barely moving to airs above the ground for no apparent reason and had a short, upside-down neck so couldn't work that well at the best of times. You couldn't have paid me to take him!!

I'm very fussy!!!! With me it's instinct. I bought Rupert when I wasnt even looking for a horse and he wasn't even for sale:D:D But he was just so fab and we gelled instantly. Same with Heidi my adorable shettie. Another impulse buy when I wasn't even looking! Charlie was a more reasoned choice - bought for his potential as a ODE/endurance horse and beautiful manners which makes him safe for my kids to be around. I adore him but that elusive spark that says 'yup, we fit' isn't quite there..... though it's growing all the time.

Other horses have just done nothing for me..... I loaned a bolshy 3yo and while I enjoyed the challenge of bringing on a youngster, I was happy to give him back at the end of the loan.When I was looking for Charlie I tried out loads of horses and I usually knew in seconds that they weren't for me. And it's not about manners/breed/type or anything either, as some of the 'nope' horses were basically fine, and some of the 'hmm maybe' horses were right bu&&ers!

Don't know what makes me gel with some horses and be indifferent to others :confused::confused:

there is one horse at our yard that gets on my nerves but i only think it's due to where his stable is.

He is the one next door! The problem is that when Ruby is tied up outside he sticks his head over his door and pulls faces or pushes me if i'm grooming with my back to him. He will also bite Ruby if she accidentally gets too close.
And to top it all off when he wants his feed he batters on his door, kicking it to kingdom come, and it drives me mad. I'm forever shouting 'SIMON!' at him :rolleyes:

However i am sure if we werent neighbours i would have any problem with him, he is a nice pony really, just gets on my nerves at times.

yep, my first proper horse. my PC eventer turned into a nightmare, we just didn't click and i doubt we ever would have. She hated me!!

I've met lots I wouldn't want to own, or at least, I wouldn't want to own them as they were and I wouldn't want to risk buying on the assumption that they'd turn into what I would want.

They've all fallen into 2 types. There's the ones that are really flat and don't enjoy their work. They don't try and have to be pushed and bullied into producing anything, though they technically know how to do it. So I don't dislike them, but can't enjoy riding them as they don't enjoy being ridden. I think in most cases it could be resolved, but I wouldn't want to risk it if I was buying as an only riding horse.

Second type are the very bolshy, very dominant types who are always looking to get the upper hand and who don't have any respect for people. Again, fixable in most cases, but I don't want the hassle. I don't want a horse I don't trust enough to turn my back on.

Although generally ride spooky horses well, I can't cope with it on the ground - I can handle nervy horses, but it frustrates me when months down the line and they know you, and they have a rug on everyday and its a big deal, like headcollar or brushing or washing etc etc. Everything is a big deal - I like them to be immune to things like rugs so when short of time I know I can throw a rug on and not worry about being all hush hush and nice and friendly.

I dont enjoy riding ones that are difficult to get going, that you have to nag and nag to work.

I am a bit like Krissie1, there are just some Horses that don't 'appeal' to me
full stop, and like Krissie1 has said 'if they don't appeal I am completely
indifferent to them anyway', and if I am indifferent I know I wouldn't gel with them in anyway shape or form. OMG does that make me an awful person:p

On the other hand there are some Horses that have appealed and I
haven't gelled with them either :p

I have met a few Horses in my time I haven't 'liked' for one reason or another, usually because they are bad mannered, but for me I have to
'like' what I am Riding, I like a Horse with Personality/Character.

I'm another one thats going to sound mean but I'm not keen on the Welsh D at our yard. He is really beautiful, good to handle (although he doesn't let me catch him), even quite nice to ride (I tried him the other day, just to see...) but we really just don't seem to gel. I don't hate him (even if I do sometimes claim I do, usually if I'm stood at one end of his paddock, him at the other :rolleyes:) but we just don't get on all that well.
I am actually trying to make friends with him though, I'll often go and give him a brush and a scratch even though I don't feel like it :)

newrider.com