Haylage help!

Frog Flob

Jul 23, 2007
North Devon
Help there's no hay around so I'm having to feed haylage, never done so before! I have small bales the one I have just opened is very hot inside and has a slight white powder (barely visable) on the hottest portion. Is it safe to use this? can I submerge it in water as we do hay? can anybody help?

I would go by the smell - if it's sweet and any bits of mould are white rather than grey then its OK, it's easy to tell when it's gone sour and the horses will probably turn their noses up at it anyway. One thing that can help is to open the bale right up or pull it apart to let it air and dry up a bit inside, it lasts longer as this slows or stops the fermentation that's causing the heat.

It depends why you're soaking it, if it's just to keep the dust down then there's no need.

ETA I usually chuck any outright mouldy bits away too :)

How long can it last on average?

Thanks very helpful, I am at present terrified of the stuff (stories of rocket fuel and lamanitus etc.) How long once opened can it last on average?

Have just asked a similar question! Funnily enough I've started using the small bales - I opened one yesterday and it felt warm, but if you shake it out and it doesn't smell nasty then its ok. Indeed, I think if it smelled bad neither of mine would touch it!!!

How long once opened can it last on average?

It depends how hot it is (weather I mean). On average, about 5 days is a reasonable estimate. In a cold winter spell, you could keep it for longer. In current temperatures, I'd be trying to use it in about 2-3 days.

we use haylage for all the horses at the yard and it never seems to cause any problems with any of our horses. With regard to the white mould it is harmless and nothing to worry about.If you discover black mould though do not use the bale as that is not good for your horses.You do not need to soak haylage as it is generally not at all dusty and as someone has already pointed out you need to use a bale within about 5 days or so.After this it will have started to go off.Good haylage smells really sweet and when it goes off it smells awful and again as someone has already said the horses probably won't touch it anyway.

newrider.com