Hello Autumn

At the risk of thread hi jacking - anyone else thinking already about lights / torches etc? I can't face another winter with a torch stuck in my mouth! :eek: o_O
Have you not got a head torch that goes on your hat?

It's not hi jacking, it's all relative to Autumn.

I made a tweak to my getting up because I can. But I still think our life shouldn't start before the sun. Nature doesn't. ;)

Have you not got a head torch that goes on your hat?

It's not hi jacking, it's all relative to Autumn.

I made a tweak to my getting up because I can. But I still think our life shouldn't start before the sun. Nature doesn't. ;)

I'm going to get a head torch this winter - my previous experience with one wasn't too good - so I'm going to pay a bit more, and stock up on batteries.
Lol yes I'm all for life not starting before the sun comes up !!!

I've been using my head torch to check the sheep some nights already. It's now living in the cup holder on the truck so I have it to hand. You dont have to buy expensive ones some of the cheaper ones are ok. I use rechargeable batteries in mine as I have a charger.

Reactions: Trewsers
I don't really like being up before first light though.
Me either, but I've already been doing it for a couple of weeks :(
No, there is something wrong with it isn't there?! A couple of weeks back I took Storm out at five thirty and that felt weird. It was light enough (just).
I prefer early mornings to being out in the dark in the evenings, less weird people around at 5am than 8pm ;)

Just as the sun was peaking it's head up this morning
DSC_2999.JPG
I have several torches @Trewsers, a big heavy Maglight with holster (for safety + light) and it is the best in term of reach, I can see 2 fields over with it easily. A little Surefire tactical light which is incredibly light, bright for short range and pocket sized and I have a Petzl headlight which I spent birthday money on last year, a bit more pricey than my previous ones but is very good, does flood or spotlight and has different brightness settings, I use it mainly on the low setting and get months out of each set of batteries (I think I only replaced them twice last year).

When I was doing the haymaking the other week down at the park some lovely people came out and offered the services. They actually said they were concerned for my safety late at night when they saw I had a ponytail. I told them I had steel toe cap boots and a tractor capable of protecting me. It's a nasty piece of town known for it's bad sorts. Fortunately it's only a once a year job and live nowhere near it. But after the people told me that I dont think I'd want to be out early morning or late.
Yet I think nothing of being out early where I live. I use to think nothing of night time either but nighttime can be a bit more risky these days as we are starting to get the wrong sort venturing with there illegal drugs.

This morning was super dark here, and to top it off when I walked out of the house even the street lights hadn't yet come on :( I'm ready for the dark to be over before it's even really begun.

newrider.com