Hello!

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Hello!

It's been a while since I've been on here, so thought I'd drop in.

Quite a lot has changed since I was last here, mostly for the good :)

So, I took the decision to take a self-inflicted demotion at work. I've realised that I couldn't have it all & I was killing myself trying. I actually handed in my resignation, but I was very lucky to re-negioate my role to stay. But it now means I'm predominately office based, as apposed to frequently travelling around the country. I do miss the buzz my old job bought (and the London parties ...!) , but I can now mainly start at 9pm, finish at 5pm and have a life outside of my job. I certainly don't miss being stuck on the M25 at 7pm knowing I still had to Pete or having to get up at 4 am after a 11pm finish at work to travel somewhere else.

I struggled to keep Pete in a routine, as he's on DIY livery as he wouldn't have settled on a full/part livery yard. My YM was great and did provide assistance but when she had an accident it all began to unravel quite quickly and it became clear it wasn't healthy or sustainable for my well-being or Pete's. And ultimately, Pete is my priority. I can now get up at quarter to 7 be at the office for 9am and be at the yard by 5.30. I'm even home by 7pm some nights ....!

The upside is that although my new role has involved a pay cut, now he's on 'proper' DIY I'm saving in not paying someone to do my chores, so I'm in a similiar position financially anyway (although I've had to learn to shop a little more purse friendly ...!). How much of a long term affect this will have on my 'career' I've got no idea, but it feels the right thing to do.

I did almost leave NR completely, as I was struggling to see other people achieve so much with their horses knowing Pete & I never may do. But having scaled back my life, I realise how overwhelmed I was by work and I've had a great summer with Pete. We're doing the Your Horse Live Hack 1000 miles challenge (I'm not sure we are going to achieve that distance, but we can but try) & back to having regular lessons with the intention of aiming for some Prelim/Novice dressage. We are also spending lots of time working on our liberty work & I'm hoping to try some bridleless riding soon. Very excitingly, we also managed our first hack in company - so I've been enjoying some riding times with my horse & my friends.

He's had a few weeks off, partly as I met my BF literally as soon as changing my job role(one door closes, another opens and all that - thankfully, he's fully supportive of Pete & often comes to accompany us out hsvking) & we went on our first holiday together in the South of France but I ended up in hospital shortly after my return and then Pete got fly bites where his saddle would go! Typical, but these things happen. Hopefully I'll be back in the saddle shortly though!

How is everyone doing? It would be great to hear what you've all been up to :)

Phew your life sounded exhausting! glad to read that you've seen the light and slowed down. Sometimes (especially in th UK) I think we get so caught up in "achieving" that we forget to breathe and live. Life's too short to waste it on the rat race IMO. xx

Reactions: Trewsers
Good to have you back. Sorry about the hospital. But how good that you have enjoyed some hacking this wonderful summer. I have too. NR isnt all high powered. In summer I go for lovely rides just messing about with my (RS) horse. An accomplished competition rider once told me he wasnt prepared to waste his time coming with me on these childish Pony Club rides. But he changed his mind when he took me for a lesson one day and saw how much Maisie did for me. Your having a fun tme with Pete is what some YOs call schooling.
You might have a look at the thread about asking your horse to move just one foot in any direction? Some people here do like Rosettes and report every win here. But some of us just ride. The only rosette I have was given to me and OH by a yard for our golden wedding.
But I rode a most lovely gelding at that yard, and Cortrasna writes about her happiness just getting on a horse for a ride. You have your Pete. Enjoy him.

Welcome back :) it sounds to me like you have made the right move for you and Pete, and like you have made some real leaps forward with him so far, I know he's not always the easiest boy :) glad to hear you have been able to get out hacking with friends and I can't wait to see the pics of him strutting his stuff at dressage :)

Nice to see you back again! Don't ever leave just because other people get more done than you. Take vicarious pleasure in it instead. Doing really well for me is just getting out more than twice a week, and the last two weeks I haven't ridden at all, but I still love reading everybody's stuff!

I'm glad you have found yourself a better work life balance. Too many people spin on hamster wheels without every really wondering why.

How nice to see you back:D
We have a new family member, he's OH's horse really (but I sneak the odd ride in on him too:D) so instead of it just being us and the girls it's now Zi and the girls. I am pleased to say that OH and I have achieved absolutely nothing noteable in the past thirteen years of horse ownership, other than deriving great pleasure from being around them:D:p We run our own business from home and having the horses here makes us prioritise what is the most important. Naturally the furry ones come first!!! We're having the byre roof mended for winter and have enough to keep us all happy and healthy and that's good enough.:)
Glad you have found a better work balance, it really is no good at all being so busy there is no time for much else.

Reactions: KP nut
Thanks everyone - it's nice to be back! You'll be bored of me soon ... :D

I know that realistically I've achieved lots with Pete - the fact that he's happy in work and happy to progress without having a nervous breakdown every time the goal posts move a little bit is huge :)

I think I was just so stressed out all the time, it's difficult to see that. And all you focus on is what others are doing & what you're not or what you've not managed to achieve - but hopefully, those days are long gone!

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Welcome back. Your journey with Pete has been inspiring. And sounds like you are both having loads of fun too. :cool:

newrider.com