Help - advice required.

clarabella_78

Jun 6, 2007
North Shropshire
Hi, sorry for the long story but here goes...

My new horse arrived yesterday (TB gelding, 13yrs). He was very stressed when he arrived, really sweating and nervous. We got him into his stable and he calmed down quickly, managed to eat his hay and have his dinner. I left him in the stable overnight where he could see the other two horses he's sharing a field with. When I went down this morning he was fine, covered in shaving so had obviously been lying down and feeling quite relaxed. I fed him, then turned him out in the field. All went well with the other two, much running around and playful behaviour but no trouble at all and now they're all stuck together like glue.

I went down this evening to feed him and give him a brush. He came to me in the field, but when I got him into the yard he got really stressed again. He wouldn't stand, wouldn't eat and kept calling to other horses. I had to put him in his stable, but he still wouldn't eat and just wanted to get back to the others.

Is this normal, I'm putting it down to him just settling in, as he wasn't like that at his old home.

What I want to know is if I need to deal with it, and how? Or will he just settle down on his own? He's usually a very quiet, easy horse.

...see pics, he really is a handsome lad!

Attachments

• Wanny 2.jpg
    Wanny 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Me & my new boy 2.jpg
    Me & my new boy 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 50
my mare was like this when i first got her....give some time to settle but don't let him take advantage. try to get him to make some friends that will always be about.

let him have a few days to readjust...and if hes still acting up then try separate them for short periods of time...so he learns hes not goin to be taken away from them forever. good to see though theres no fighting at least....

Update to the separation anxiety episode...

Made some progress this morning, I went down to check on him and he's got two bites on his flank which weren't there last night. So I decided to bring him in and clean them up. I tried to bring him in but his fieldmate (young, boisterous rig who's enormous!) started chasing us and I had to let Wanny go as he was getting in a state.

After a moments indecision, I decided to try again and not let the two of them decide what the outcome would be so this time I was much firmer with Wanny and with the rig, just shouted at him and waved my arms around a lot to keep him away. After that Wanny was much calmer and came into the yard just fine. The yard's enclosed, so I just let him wander about while I sorted out his food etc. I managed to brush him and pick out his feet while he was eating, and his pal just stood at the gate and watched quietly. After cleaning his bites I turned him back out again.

How will this evening's visit go I wonder?

He's obviously got separation anxiety from leaving his new field mates.

I would probably have left him in for a couple of days longer before putting him out so that you could have bonded with him first.

Saying that tho, he'll probably settle down in a couple of weeks and it sounds like you've made progress already!

All horses are individuals and can take anything from days to months to settle in.

The best advice I can give is try to keep his routine as close to what he is used to.

Allow him to adjust to everything and don't be in a rush to get on with things.

Haven't read the other replies, but I would just say that its normal, he's obviously wanting to stay with his new pals - afterall, horses stick together! He'll be fine, just give him time and keep him turned out with his chums as much as you possibly can. I know when JOe and Storm moved house they just wanted to be together, its hard for them, they don't understand about moving yards / homes do they?

Update # 2

Thanks for all the advice folks. He's even better tonight. I got him in with no performance (apart from afore-mentioned shouting and arm waving at the rig again). He stood as quiet as a lamb while I tied him up, then ate his dinner while I groomed him. He even stood reasonably still while I covered him in fly spray (he's got a few insect bites).

Since it was all going so well, I decided to walk him to the end of the yard, beyond where he had his hissy fit yesterday. He was fine - peering over the yard gate into the street for a nosey, and not one backwards glance at the field or his pals.

Feeling much more confident now that it is just a settling in phase and not a deeper problem. Fingers crossed tomorrow is just as good, if not better (saddler coming so I want him to behave!)

newrider.com