Help-Finding my Seat in Canter, Any Tips?

LubbMonkey

May 22, 2005
Heylo once again, i was just wondering (Iv'e just started to learn how to canter) if anyone could give me any tips on improving my seat in canter. I'm finding it slightly harder than i thought to stay actualy on the saddle :rolleyes: Any help would be great x

Do you use an english saddle? They, for me, don't help me sit down at ALL.
-.-; English saddles make me perch because of the stirrup length, so either take your stirrups out or lengthen them (I'm trying out jumping and my regular bareback legs are probably 6"-8" longer than when I'm sitting in a jumping saddle)

Bareback is to me the best way to ride, so try it out.

Try glueing your bum to the saddle!!! only kidding :D Echo what Lenvale said, lessons on the lunge are GREAT! They're not just for complete beginners either. I'm not brilliant at cantering but I always make an effort to keep my legs long and think long :)

im not that great at canter my self as iv only been doing it for a short time (sack of potato syndrom :D ) but iv been told quite often to breath. As when first starting to canter many people tense up alot and almost hold thier breath. So breathing evenly helps to relax the muscles and u therefore sit deeper in the saddle, especially if u imagine all ure tension leaving as u breath out. sounds silly but it works for me. Otherwise i agree with everyone else especially about riding with out stirrups and lunging as i find it loads easier to canter without stirrups. Ill also prob use some of the advice myself so thankz everyone :)

I would recommend lunge lessons too, although i never had the chance, we used to teach the kids to canter by leading the pony and them holding the saddle front and back (outside hand to front for safety) which I guess would be similar, but unfortunately, this doesn't work with anything bigger than about 12hh cos no one can run fast enough! :p
I guess that this could be applied to the lunge too, or even just one hand (inside) to pull yourself into the saddle if you can't arrange/afford private lunge lessons-but you still have speed/direction control??!!
finally, try to relax and enjoy it, it'l come eventually,and when you least expect it-i found it cantering across a field on a strange pony, still one of the best moments of my life!
Vicki

A good rule of thumb is heels down and shoulders back. Of course that isnt always as easy as it sounds. Make sure yours stirrups are proper lenght before you canter. not to high or not to low. They should reach your ankle. You'll perfect your seat as you get more and more experienced. Every lesson you should canter both ways at least once around the ring, so you get used to the feel of the canter. Lunge lessons are also a great idea, too. Hope I helped. :)

newrider.com