Help!!! Horse loves mares...

Sammi

May 17, 2006
Hi. I have a horse that was gelded late, and I have found out that he knows when mares are in heat or can cause them to be in heat. I noticed this with 3 different mares. It's harder to ride my horse when some (not all) mares are around. My horse is distracted when they p** all over the place in the ring or on trails. I have to be very firm with my horse to keep him on task. A whip doesn't work, but a firm "NO" does. Someone told me to use "Vix" on him, but I don't think it's a good idea.

Just wondering if anyone here has this problem and how they handled it.

Thanks,

Chelsey

Ok, I'm not that frantic about it, but any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks...:D

I don't think so, he has never mounted. He gets a strong interest, but grazing will take his mind off it. It's easier to distract him with food when I'm on the ground. Riding him while this is happening is a different story as I'm not there on the ground for him to see me telling him "NO".
When he does this while I'm riding, I have to get out of the saddle and lead him to an area to graze, and then ride him in a different area. (not fun..)
This doesn't happen in the winter, so I'm hoping it's a mild one.. :D

Use the cheap baby version of 'vix' its not as strong. Only use it when you need to him to have all attention on you ie. riding, otherwise let him be a man!! The vix will stop him from being able to smell the mares which is the main reason most stallions/geldings will play up.

I use vix on my fillys nose at the moment because she has an infection and it helps shift the mucus :)

newrider.com