Help! Strange swelling on my horses bum/ muscle

blushin_bex

Beckyand Monty
Feb 20, 2007
South Glos
Mont lumpy bum.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situiation/ any ideas. Last week my friends horse came in with a swelling next to tail and has been told by vet today he has done something to the muscle. Strangely my horse this morning has exactly the same problem, in the picture it is to the left of his tail however i think the right is slightly swolen aswell, neither of them lame and doesnt seem to be bothering him. Very grateful of others views!

What exactlly has vet said?? I had a client who's horse had similar although slightly higher to the semitendonosus and semimembranosus muscles (hamstrings area) she had a bleed within the muscle and now is permanently blemished although not lame (was at the time). You need to be careful that the muscle does not get ossified by scar tissue as this is can cause difficulties in healing and keeping the muscle functioning without problmes

My friends horse was examined and shaved to see it more, vet thought either torn muscle or abscess and given antibiotics and bute, rang back today as its gone down slightly but not compelty and he wasnt happy with being shod so vet has said probally torn muscle so carry on with bute and rest. Cant believe my horse has the same this morning (we thought one was odd enough! although they might not be connected), havent called the vet yet as he isnt lame (however did seem slightly sore on the front when trotted up this morning which he often is after recently being shod). I think he is slightly swollen on both sides left more so though and there has always been a slight dip here which has never bothered him (some1 once said it is where they have had a abscess before), guessing will observe it for next few days and call the vet. Thanks for replying though

If you feel the area, where the normal muscle feels firm when you feel this bit does it feel softer? kind of squidgy?
I have had that a few times on large muscles and found it is often from a kick, fall or excessive strain on the muscle where the muscle fibres tear/over-stretch - hense why they bulge a bit and are softer to touch.
I normally treat this with some rest and bute if need be, then start using a muscle rub (I like Tendonil for this) and gently massage over the area to encourage any fluids to drain and healing to happen, I then start slow easy work (so long as they are sound) to help regain the elasticity in the muscle. The lump often takes quite some time to go down but generally after about 4-6 weeks it does, well with all the ones I have delt with it has.
Having said that my friends horse had this as a baby and he was left untreated and turned out, he is now 5 and this soft lump is still there.

newrider.com