Help! Teaching a horse to tie up without expecting food!

RRA

Jan 30, 2008
Berkshire
Help please! My mare seems to be getting worse when tied up for grooming and it's getting frustrating...She seems to expect food and a constant supply of it, without it she will refuse to stand still - when she has it she will stand quietly for anything nice as pie!. She will just rifle through my tack box and pockets looking for treats and get in a strop if she doesn't find them -I now just have the necessary brushes etc on me and avoid having a bag. Apart from the fact that it can take ages to groom her properly (a grey that loves to roll:rolleyes:) with her constant fidgeting and barginess and feet stamping when she doesn't get her way. She is not distressed about being tied up as she can quite easily break from her tie if she really wanted to and when I ignore her and sit to one side she will immediately put her head down to me and walk towards me as if to say 'what have I done mum?' but as soon as I get up and try to carry on she starts again I seem to just follow her around doing the best job possible but she does need to learn this is not acceptable. HELP!!! your suggestions gratefully recieved. Thanks :)

maybe she would settle easier if she could have one,to keep her occupied?
x

Shouldn't a horse learn to be tied without a constant food supply? - I thought this was one of the basics of a good mannered horse. I haven't had to resort to this with other horses and other people seem to manage grooming/bathing their horses without one...it was more to do with the demanding nature she is developing and she is definitely not starved! Does yours have a haynet each time its taken from the field/stable to be groomed? Even if I just too mine out of the field and went over her quickly with a brush and picked her feet, 5 mins max - she would want food before standing! She is not expected to stand for long periods at all.

Shouldn't a horse learn to be tied without a constant food supply? - I thought this was one of the basics of a good mannered horse. I haven't had to resort to this with other horses and other people seem to manage grooming/bathing their horses without one...it was more to do with the demanding nature she is developing and she is definitely not starved! Does yours have a haynet each time its taken from the field/stable to be groomed? Even if I just too mine out of the field and went over her quickly with a brush and picked her feet, 5 mins max - she would want food before standing! She is not expected to stand for long periods at all.
Ok thats me ticked off:eek:
Do you give treats when you catch,fetch in etc?

In my experience, you will have to persist with ignoring her when she messes about. I know how frustrating it is but if she gets your attention when she is not standing still you are rewarding her for her actions. My boy was a bit like this for a while. I walked away when he was messing about ,only returning when he calmed down and stood quietly. It took a little while but he soon twigged it was better to stand quietly and get attention. I don't feed him any treats and he doesn't have a haynet when he's tied. He is as good as gold now, will stand still most of the time and he's only 3.

|Good luck I hope you get it sorted, it is soooo frustrating! :)

do you feed her mints and apple out of your hand?

Generally only when I get her from the field she gets a treat and when I make my 2nd visit of the day just to check on her she'll get one when she comes to the gate. I had given her the odd one when tied up because of her reluctance to lift her off hind so I think she has learnt that rather the treat being a reward for co-operating she see's refusing to do something an opportunity to get a treat....not my intention obviously...she is too smart!:D But I need to 'nip this in the bud'....treats are not bribes they are rewards!

In my experience, you will have to persist with ignoring her when she messes about. I know how frustrating it is but if she gets your attention when she is not standing still you are rewarding her for her actions. My boy was a bit like this for a while. I walked away when he was messing about ,only returning when he calmed down and stood quietly. It took a little while but he soon twigged it was better to stand quietly and get attention. I don't feed him any treats and he doesn't have a haynet when he's tied. He is as good as gold now, will stand still most of the time and he's only 3.

|Good luck I hope you get it sorted, it is soooo frustrating! :)

Light at the end of the tunnel :D

Generally only when I get her from the field she gets a treat and when I make my 2nd visit of the day just to check on her she'll get one when she comes to the gate. I had given her the odd one when tied up because of her reluctance to lift her off hind so I think she has learnt that rather the treat being a reward for co-operating she see's refusing to do something an opportunity to get a treat....not my intention obviously...she is too smart!:D But I need to 'nip this in the bud'....treats are not bribes they are rewards!

ok i was goin to say this might be the prob, i can tie mine up with or with out any hay with no prob unless my mate is there as they know she has treats but iv told her off for this as she has been bitten by one of my horses cos he wants a treat

Ok thats me ticked off:eek:
Do you give treats when you catch,fetch in etc?

Scoob&lill...I gave into the haynet today!!:p thought it might be worth trying for a time even if just to settle her and definitely no more treats in my pocket etc. She looked a bit miffed this morning when I went up to see her and she just got a pat and a hug! She was better with a haynet for grooming just a bit of barginess, I guess it is more of a distraction..eventually she stood really quietly. I will see how the week goes. Perhaps if I can get her over this stage of refusing to stand still I can change tactics later and wean her off the haynet?????! Especially if she also stops expecting the treats too. Thanks for the advice...I have so many things to sort out with her I probably should just tackle one thing at a time :)

newrider.com